Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #21
aesir23

Default Re: Other Weapons with Fencing Stances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Those styles should not get the +3 bonus on retreat -- fast retreat requires one foot significantly in front of the other, because it involves pushing backwards with the forward foot.

Edit: I just looked at your examples. They actually look really awkward and poor for mobility of any type, though that may be the illustrations.
A +3 bonus to Retreating Parries doesn't necessarily mean "fast retreat". If it did, there would be a case for fencers receiving a bonus to retreating Dodges as well.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #22
Tomsdad

I like the technique idea, have different weapons starting at different defaults* to reflect their suitability for being used in this way. I'd also require anything that is normally (U)nbalanced to take the defensive attack penalty on damage when being used to fence with.

1). 'U' and F' are IMO pretty mutually exclusive both in effect and underlying explanation

2). it helps with the idea that a fencing style of fighting doesn't really mesh well with front heavy, full strength swung attacks.

I'd probably not allow weapon modes with (‡) to do this. They'd have to use their thrusting attack modes that aren't (‡) if they have them. (no fencing with Gada's sorry)

*you could come up with some categories but the default could be the combination of some of the weapons stats e.g (weapon weight + highest damage mod) so a long sword used in one hand would be -6, a mace would be -8, a rapier -4, a 1 handed spear -6 etc

The max for the technique would be the underling skill.

(There's probably some oddities to this system, thrusting broadswords will have a worse default than non thrusting one for example, but as general rule of thumb it seems quick and easy rather than agonising over what category every weapon would fit into, but you could add some caveats pretty easily)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-19-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #23
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
A +3 bonus to Retreating Parries doesn't necessarily mean "fast retreat". If it did, there would be a case for fencers receiving a bonus to retreating Dodges as well.
I'd say the +3 bonus every one gets to dodge is a "fast retreat", just that fencers are trained to "fast retreat" when parrying as well.

The fencing retreat isn't really fencers being able to move their bodies that much more quickly then everyone else, it's more about being in a stance and training to parry/maintain distance/recoil quickly (normally while unencumbered).
Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 AM   #24
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Those styles should not get the +3 bonus on retreat -- fast retreat requires one foot significantly in front of the other, because it involves pushing backwards with the forward foot.

Edit: I just looked at your examples. They actually look really awkward and poor for mobility of any type, though that may be the illustrations.
Think of plates in Capo Ferro or Fabris as snapshots of any extreme athletic event. Some of the advanced bits in Fabris seems to be written for students with a modern professional athlete's strength and coordination. A tolerable video of some intermediate bits is here.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #25
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Think of plates in Capo Ferro or Fabris as snapshots of any extreme athletic event. Some of the advanced bits in Fabris seems to be written for students with a modern professional athlete's strength and coordination. A tolerable video of some intermediate bits is here.
Nice!, and you see where modern sports fencing came out from as well
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
A tolerable video of some intermediate bits is here.
While that manages to look more plausible, it's also a narrow stance that would have poor sideways mobility and stability, just like modern fencing.

Tags
combat, fencing, house rules, martial arts, parry