Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #31
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control type spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I found the opposite true. "What SM is this heap of metal?" vs. "How much does this weigh?"
Going by the rule of using longest dimension to determine SM, it's a question of "how tall/wide is the heap?" Trying to determine weight, however, requires math.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
For the record, I tried this once. Switching them out for SM.
I'm not suggesting that anything be swtiched for SM. Mind Control effects don't have any size or mass component at all in RPM. It's easier in RPM to control a SM 5 Will 3 giant slug than an SM -1 Will 13 Halfling shopkeeper. I think the OP wants a world where the slug is harder, simply because it is bigger. Your Minion hack doesn't work here because that Slug probably isn't a lot of points.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Going by the rule of using longest dimension to determine SM, it's a question of "how tall/wide is the heap?" Trying to determine weight, however, requires math.
Brefily, because we're derailing the thread - using SM requires a table lookup. Guesstimating how much something weighs vs. what's its SM is much easier for me and mine.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #34
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm not suggesting that anything be swtiched for SM. Mind Control effects don't have any size or mass component at all in RPM. It's easier in RPM to control a SM 5 Will 3 giant slug than an SM -1 Will 13 Halfling shopkeeper. I think the OP wants a world where the slug is harder, simply because it is bigger. Your Minion hack doesn't work here because that Slug probably isn't a lot of points.
Meh. I still wouldn't mess with it. But ronalmb says he's changed his mind so our back and forth is probably moot at this point. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Meh. I still wouldn't mess with it. But ronalmb says he's changed his mind so our back and forth is probably moot at this point. :-)
"How do I make 'bigness' matter against mind effects in RPM?" is probably a legitimate question.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #36
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
"How do I make 'bigness' matter against mind effects in RPM?" is probably a legitimate question.
I'm sure this will be yet another thing I'm wrong about (since it's been that sort of day), but I remember this coming up before and the answer was "Subject weight is bigness." Again, I feel that subject weight works better for a flexible on the fly system like RPM, there is no extra table lookups just "It weighs 1,000 lbs so +4 energy." I'll let PK answer this one since I've really got nothing else to say on the subject matter. Basically, I've only rarely considered not using Subject WEight because it works perfectly for me.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'm sure this will be yet another thing I'm wrong about (since it's been that sort of day), but I remember this coming up before and the answer was "Subject weight is bigness." Again, I feel that subject weight works better for a flexible on the fly system like RPM, there is no extra table lookups just "It weighs 1,000 lbs so +4 energy." I'll let PK answer this one since I've really got nothing else to say on the subject matter. Basically, I've only rarely considered not using Subject WEight because it works perfectly for me.
I thought subject weight doesn't apply to mind control type effects.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #38
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Well, we could consider that unrealistically large things have some form of magical origin, and give them some level of Magic Resistance based on size. Getting past something with an extra 5 Magic Resistance is going to be a bit of a challenge. It could even be a setting feature that size gives passive MR, partially compensating for being easier to hit with physical weapons.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #39
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I thought subject weight doesn't apply to mind control type effects.
It doesn't. But mixing Subject Weight and Size Modifier up into the system is going to cause trip-ups at some point. That's why I said I wouldn't use it or do it. And it feels off "I use my weight for this, but my SM for that." Again, I'm cashing my chips out on this point. I'm sure PK will give adequate reasoning why he choose to use weight vs. size because I don't know. All I do know is it works and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Become a Patron!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
It doesn't. But mixing Subject Weight and Size Modifier up into the system is going to cause trip-ups at some point.
Okay I understand that.
Quote:
That's why I said I wouldn't use it or do it. And it feels off "I use my weight for this, but my SM for that." Again, I'm cashing my chips out on this point. I'm sure PK will give adequate reasoning why he choose to use weight vs. size because I don't know. All I do know is it works and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm curious how you would do it, actually.