Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Longevity, GURPS and actuarial fidelity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
This advantage is realistic.
But it makes characters do unrealistic things.
GURPS isn't "simulationist".
Okay, that's what I'm saying. What are you complaining about exactly?
Quote:
You're turning my side into a straw man.
I don't understand why people do this. Is there a logical fallacy for accusing someone of a logical fallacy rather than maybe thinking they don't understand you? How does the straw man accusation actually help this discussion?
Quote:
Lack of understanding what advantages actually do is not acting like an "insurance adjustor".
I don't understand what "lack of understand what advantages actually do" even means. A game system that was based on actuarial statistics and Bayesian distributions and so on and seriously attempted to be a predictive model of reality would be a very different game than GURPS.
Quote:
It's basic understanding of math and R.A.W.
My "basic" understanding of math and GURPS is that GURPS isn't remotely based on actuarial tables but rather on fidelity to adventure stories with some level of verisimilitude. The math works out fine for that. You are right that it sucks at matching actuarial statistics. So?
Quote:
Have you never read Murphy's rules?
The comic strip? The comedy game about the planet that worships a role-playing game? Some other "Murphy's Rules"?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote