Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
MongolHorde

Default Working on a Vehicle Builder for CW myself

Hi. I am currently (sporadicly) working on a VB.NET project, which is going to be a vehicle designer for CW. It is using the numbers from the Uncle Als Catalog from He**. Initialy, it is only going to allow designing cars, and will (likely) only use the basic body types (compact, mid-size, luxury, pickup, and van) and the basic equipment. It'll be as close to the pocket box CW as I can recall it.

First question: If I (someday before the heat death of the universe) complete this, and wanted to release it as freeware, would SJ Games allow this, or should I shut up now and just do this for myself?

Second question: If I am allowed to release this, would anyone be interested? If so, would anyone be willing to assist in the project, if I start up a page on SourceForge?

Needless to say, #2 depends on the answer to #1. If anyone is interested in how I am currently going about this, let me know, and I'll post details here.

Thanks,
Jason A.
(**** poor programmer)
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
MIB104

Default Re: Working on a Vehicle Builder for CW myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongolHorde
First question: If I (someday before the heat death of the universe) complete this, and wanted to release it as freeware, would SJ Games allow this, or should I shut up now and just do this for myself?
Its ok to write one for yourself, but in order to distribute it in any way, you need to get permission first. You can read all the details at http://www.sjgames.com/general/gm-aid-license.html
MIB104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:15 AM   #3
Jonathan

There's a really nice CW Excel spreadsheet that uses macros floating about the net somewhere... I dunno if it's along the same lines as what you're proposing (I recall that it deals with more than the basic body types, though).
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
MIB104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
There's a really nice CW Excel spreadsheet that uses macros floating about the net somewhere... I dunno if it's along the same lines as what you're proposing (I recall that it deals with more than the basic body types, though).
http://www.sjgames.com/gameaids/carwars/cargen.zip
MIB104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
jjdodger

There is also one at http://www.cwhnj.com/tsarnj/Madhat.htm that is excel based. does all car, motorcycle, trike, and racing bodies, computes most things for you, etc.
jjdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
Parody

I'm also working on the CWVD, an Excel sheet that grew (with permission) from a derivation of Sean Peterson's Excel sheet that's on the website. I just submitted it to SJG for approval; hope they like it. ::crosses fingers::