Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
Jetman

Default Friendly fire... from yourself?!

I'm watching the latest Madhat event and I saw something I never imagined happening.

A trike spun out and hit the wall, rear first, coming to a stop. This set off its bumper trigger paint sprayer, covering the vehicle in a paint cloud. It was a good laugh.

Then in the next phase, it ignited... it was a flame cloud ejector and he was fully engulfed!
Jetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Friendly fire... from yourself?!

Hmmm, not sure a rear mounted gas weapon would cover a stationary vehicle regardless of it's direction of travel, unless the vehicle moved back through it. An under or top mounted one I can see, but rear mounted gas is always placed behind.

I've had a paint grenade drop and detonate inside a car before now. Fortunately FCE grenades aren't a thing, or doubtless I would have done that :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
Racer

I seem to recall in one game when Slimebane dropped a 750lb Bomb from a Large Microplane , at height of about 1½" inches (22½ feet real scale) & blowing both a line of parked Car Trailers AND himself to bits ! Due to scatter rules & him traveling about 45mph , he was easily caught within the 5" Burst Radius - even taking into account three dimensional distances .
Should've used a Delayed Fuse or Parachute Bomb mate ... but then he was never one to read all the rules ...
Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Magesmiley

The OrcaCon final had a rather spectacular set of mine detonation that took out two car's tires, causing the player who dropped them to vault.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
juris

Beware dropping mines on tailgaters! Also, peds that miss grenade rolls so badly they blow themselves up. Classic.

If only laser reflective armor would work as described...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The OrcaCon final had a rather spectacular set of mine detonation that took out two car's tires, causing the player who dropped them to vault.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
43Supporter

"Friendly Fire Isn't."

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
"Friendly Fire Isn't."
Unless your Dumbledore fending off Inferi ... ;-)

Not to be confused with 'Fiendlyfyre' , which indeed certainly isn't ...
Old 04-04-2019, 01:29 AM   #8
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Ditto in our road campaign. Laying close order mines after a hard manoeuvre to run across the road a single hit causes a fishtail into contact with his own mines. Which causes a fishtail which throws him the other way, which causes a fishtail... after he lost the wheel, it became a vault for 3" dropping mines into the path of another of his team on the way.

His target ,who was just 1" behind him, turned parallel to avoid the intact field and then just drove through the gap he had created in his own minefield, taking no damage at all.

Last edited by swordtart; 04-04-2019 at 01:32 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Unless your Dumbledore fending off Inferi ... ;-)

Not to be confused with 'Fiendlyfyre' , which indeed certainly isn't ...
Well, there is that "glitch" in one edition of _GURPS_ where one can vastly lower the penalties for "fighting in darkness" via self-immolation....

FF is one of the reasons why every group I've played in has allowed WGs (if not WHs) to protect against dropped-weapons in all circumstances (_ADQ 9/4_ notwithstanding).

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
jimmylogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Hmmm, not sure a rear mounted gas weapon would cover a stationary vehicle regardless of it's direction of travel, unless the vehicle moved back through it. An under or top mounted one I can see, but rear mounted gas is always placed behind.

I've had a paint grenade drop and detonate inside a car before now. Fortunately FCE grenades aren't a thing, or doubtless I would have done that :)

His vector was such that he was traveling backward, so the collision for the bumper trigger caused it to drop 'behind' him half way (it was bottom mounted). Since he was currently headed 'backwards' then it stuck out past his 'front.'

Understand now?
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote