Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Pocket Box Final Hours

The campaign closes today! Thank you to everyone who has joined in to push the project over $230,000 and helped us to bring back a lot of classic Car Wars expansions.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f-the-eighties
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
LokRobster

Default Re: Pocket Box Final Hours

General Question for Car Wars fans: What's your loadout?

What 7 Additional Pocket Boxes will you add to the stack of "included at $200 level"?

I'm considering Illuminatii and Ogre just because, and 2 extra CW boxes to gift...

that leaves me 3 more.
maybe 2 more Truck Stops and 1 Sunday Drivers set to add to the gift packs.

anyhow, i'm curious what others will do (or would do, if it's theoretical) for their +7
Old 03-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
ColBosch

Ogre, GEV, Battlesuit, and Illuminati are must-haves, in my opinion. They're great games, and their expansions are already included in the $200 level. The Awful Green Things from Outer Space has long been a favorite of mine, and it's a great game to throw in your backpack, purse, or glove box for playing whenever you get a chance. Kung Fu 2100 is similarly fast-playing, with a neat mechanic for resolving fights. Finally, I'd pick Necromancer. There's an Ogre variant that uses its map, and the game itself is neat.

The remaining games are all good, mind. But Undead can take some time to play. It's best with a gamemaster and a full afternoon. Raid on Iran and One-Page Bulge suffer the onus of being historical wargames. They're both very, very good games, and play as quickly as any of the others, but it's sometimes hard to overcome modern gamers' resistance to "grognard stuff."

Last edited by ColBosch; 03-01-2019 at 09:51 AM.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
MazeMonster
Banned

I just know that the Autoduel America Map is the $255,000 stretch goal, amirite?
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
ParadoxGames

My 7 Games are Ogre, GEV, Illuminati (though I just got a pb edition 4 months ago), Raid on Iran, One Page Bulge, Battlesuit (now I can play it, since I'm not cutting my mint copy I got for $2 a few years ago) and Kung Fu 2100. And now in a more readable format:
  • Ogre
  • GEV
  • Illuminati
  • Raid On Iran
  • One Page Bulge
  • Battlesuit
  • Kung Fu 2100
Old 03-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
MazeMonster
Banned

$250,000 passed!!!! What are the final stretch goals?
MazeMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Thank you to everyone who has joined in to push the project over $230,000
"Over $230,000" indeed! $38,000 over that mark in fact...well done Phil and the team.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks, everyone! Already up and sending the team instructions so that we can hit the ground running on Monday. The factory is handling most of the lifting on this project, but we have some in-house tasks of our own to complete.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
ColBosch

And to think, this started as just seven almost-straight reprints; no dice, no die-cut counters, no expansions, not even all of the Pocket Box products. In Particular, the $200 reward level went from "why would I spend an extra $25 on this" to "why would I NOT spend an extra $25 on this!?"
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
And to think, this started as just seven almost-straight reprints; no dice, no die-cut counters, no expansions, not even all of the Pocket Box products. In Particular, the $200 reward level went from "why would I spend an extra $25 on this" to "why would I NOT spend an extra $25 on this!?"
This one had a bit of an unfair advantage. With the factory handling the bulk of the workload, the overall project doesn't consume nearly as much staff time as if we were creating everything from scratch.

It probably cut our costs by 50% (maybe more) taking this approach. We wanted to pass that on to everyone who supported the Kickstarter campaign.