Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Minimum spec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I would really like to get this video game, but I only have an old MacBook Pro right now.
I'm playing primarily on a Windows 7 VM in VirtualBox on a late 2012 MBP. It "runs" but it's pokey, to say the least; even with everything dialed down (animations off, etc). I'm able to get my fix, but it's far from an ideal setup.

The main thing I noticed is the fewer AU on the screen, the better it runs. In other words, zoom all the way in. It's pretty responsive when you do that for the most part. Obviously the downside is you lose context (where things outside your viewing area are, etc), but at least you can play.

I get the feeling all the processing is happening for all the objects on screen all the time. It would be nice if you could make the objects static so the system doesn't have to constantly redraw everything. That would probably help a lot.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'm playing primarily on a Windows 7 VM in VirtualBox on a late 2012 MBP. It "runs" but it's pokey, to say the least; even with everything dialed down (animations off, etc). I'm able to get my fix, but it's far from an ideal setup.
I'm having trouble even starting on a 2011 MBP with the windows 10 trial, stuck on "Saving scenario file..." Windows and steam seem to be OK, with plenty of system overhead left. Any chance you did something special to get past that speed bump?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
I'm having trouble even starting on a 2011 MBP with the windows 10 trial, stuck on "Saving scenario file..." Windows and steam seem to be OK, with plenty of system overhead left. Any chance you did something special to get past that speed bump?
The limiting factor seems to be Video Ram. I have mine maxed out at 256MB for the VM, and gave the VM 2 cores.

Not sure where the "Saving scenario file..." line is displayed? What were your full steps to get there?

It's very possible that Win 10 in a VM on the 2011 MBP is just too much for it since Win 10 is a much bigger video hog.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
dwalend

Quote:
The limiting factor seems to be Video Ram. I have mine maxed out at 256MB for the VM, and gave the VM 2 cores.
Or it could be cores. Livelock would explain why it's just stuck. Hard to say anything without being able to take the code apart.

Quote:
Not sure where the "Saving scenario file..." line is displayed? What were your full steps to get there?
All I have to do is start the game. I get straight to this dead spot after that. (The news images still rotate.)

Quote:
It's very possible that Win 10 in a VM on the 2011 MBP is just too much for it since Win 10 is a much bigger video hog.
Could be. Do you think Microsoft has a 90-day trial of Windows7 ?
Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
Mack_JB

I have to admit I have not bit the bullet yet. I am running Windows 7 on a machine with what appears to be 8 GB of RAM, but I can't make sense of my video card information:

Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 1677 GB Free (1863 GB Total)

Graphics:

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.17.10.2932
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I have to admit I have not bit the bullet yet. I am running Windows 7 on a machine with what appears to be 8 GB of RAM, but I can't make sense of my video card information:

Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 1677 GB Free (1863 GB Total)

Graphics:

Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics
Total available graphics memory 1696 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1632 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.17.10.2932
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10
That's more than sufficient. It just means you don't have a discreet GPU; that's perfectly fine. If it makes you feel any better, I am getting excellent performance on a 6-year old MBP playing through Wine. Their specs are pretty modest.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
offsides

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I am getting excellent performance on a 6-year old MBP playing through Wine. Their specs are pretty modest.
Any hints on getting Steam/Ogre to run under Wine? I haven't had time to purchase it yet, but I was hoping I could make it work directly under Wine on Linux rather than having to go the VM route...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #18
ColBosch

Quote:
That's more than sufficient. It just means you don't have a discreet GPU; that's perfectly fine. If it makes you feel any better, I am getting excellent performance on a 6-year old MBP playing through Wine. Their specs are pretty modest.
To translate a little: computer graphics come in "discrete" and "integrated" flavors. Discrete means that graphics are handled through a physically separate component; a "video card." Integrated graphics are built into the motherboard or even the main processor chip itself. Once upon a time, this was a Big Deal and trying to run games without a discrete graphics solution would only result in heartbreak and tears. Now, not so big a deal; modern computers tend to have memory and clock cycles to spare, especially home PCs.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Any hints on getting Steam/Ogre to run under Wine? I haven't had time to purchase it yet, but I was hoping I could make it work directly under Wine on Linux rather than having to go the VM route...
There are two issues with Wine:
1. The Steam app itself is pretty weird under wine, but that mostly doesn't matter
2. Play the game in Windowed mode, not fullscreen; things get weird swapping between the game and the Steam app otherwise

Other than that, I didn't do anything special, but I haven't tried Wine under linux yet; I'm using the Wine from homebrew on Mac.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Tom, I'll report in when/if I have a working recipe.
This wine recipe worked for me so far. (I'm in the second demo.)

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Caveats - I didn't see the mouse using X windows, but the mac native seems fine. Command-tab to get back to the mac OS. It runs the fans pretty hard, so I won't be resting it on my lap while I play.