Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: A Legacy Edition version of Advantages of Great Strength

^ Yeah, I wouldn't want TFT monster damage to be directly based on ST, because I think there are multiple effects of ST, and since monsters aren't built the same ways as humans, and aren't doing what humans do when they attack, they should not do damage based on ST, because ST for monsters is mainly used for how much damage they can take.

But comparing to human damage can be useful for a sanity check for comparison purposes.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #22
TippetsTX

Exactly what Skarg said... it is problematic at best to use the same scale for figures that are primarily human-sized as well as for supernatural or large/huge bipeds. And it definitely shouldn't be used to guide decisions about how much damage multi-hex creatures would do.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-21-2020 at 03:47 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:25 AM   #23
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If you poke around the House Rules threads a bit you'll find a link to a google doc I posted, containing stats for a bunch of other weapons that are generally consistent with the pattern in RAW. It includes a few 'big versions' of familiar things (though nothing intended for giants; I suggest an easily recipe for those is just club damage +1, which won't be too far off).
I couldn't find it. Could you post the link?
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #24
larsdangly

Here is a fresh link to a draft version of it. It contains a number of typos and formatting errors that I've marked on my hard copy; I'll try to get a 'clean' copy posted in a few days!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wg5...ew?usp=sharing
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #25
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Here is a fresh link to a draft version of it. It contains a number of typos and formatting errors that I've marked on my hard copy; I'll try to get a 'clean' copy posted in a few days!
Thanks for posting the link. This is a nice supplement.

Regarding the typos… I noticed a few among the East Asian vocabulary. (For example, I saw both "wakzashi" and "wakasashi" used for wakizashi.) Unfortunately, most spell-checkers aren't going to catch foreign words like that, so that whole section will require extra diligent scrutiny.

I must also note in passing that the mere sight of the vile word "nunchucks" causes me physical pain… but technically it's not a typo, it's a deliberate abomination, and not of your doing.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
larsdangly

Thanks! I'll add those to the list...
Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #27
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
ST 30 dragons do the melee damage of a ST 10 human
That's a dragon with claws of who knows what, compared with a human with a sword made of some kind of low-grade steel. A fairer comparison is with a clawed creature like a rfeptile man. To do similar damage with claws a reptile man needs an ST in the 15 to 20 range.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #28
hcobb

Stomp on the tiny monkeys. It's great massage for the bottoms of all four feet.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #29
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
That's a dragon with claws of who knows what, compared with a human with a sword made of some kind of low-grade steel. A fairer comparison is with a clawed creature like a rfeptile man. To do similar damage with claws a reptile man needs an ST in the 15 to 20 range.
Yes, I realize it's a ST 10 figure with a sword I was comparing to.

And yes, a ST 15 reptile man (below average in original TFT) would do 1d+2 from one hex away. Though a ST 13 one would do 2d-2 (same as the ST 30 dragon) in HTH. That's assuming no unarmed combat talents, too

So, discounting the body size difference, it's sort of like the listed 4-hex dragon's arms are maybe about ST 13-20, or less if their size or skill with them counts for anything.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #30
larsdangly

Maybe the fact that they can fly accounts for the fact that they can't use their upper body strength for clawing in the same way a humanoid can?