Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
Eugee

Default Campaign Complete: Battle Reports

Okay so if you haven't completed the campaign yet, and don't want any spoilers, you should skip reading this. Having finally gotten around to finishing the campaign, I'm curious what forces and strategies everyone used for the missions.

1. Blindsided: Obviously the forces are fixed on this one. I knocked out the MB with HVYs, hammered the SBs with MSLs, and took out the AP with INF, while the LTs and GEVs worked on the treads. MK3 didn't make the bridge. I've repeated this one a lot showing people how to play the game. I think it's a great intro, and gives you experience with all the units.

2. Recruitment Program: 5xGEV, 5xSHVY, 5x3INF. I ran the GEVs up the left side to engage the Mk1. Dump too much firepower to make sure the MB is taken out, then blockaded the way across from the town hex and worked over the treads. The SHVY & INF beeline for the Mk5 and work it over. It crossed the river but didn't make it to the second broadcast center.

3. With Friends Like These... SHVY & INF again. This might have been the easiest mission. The Mk3 knocked out one MB and ate all the missiles. R3 on the SHVY means you can form a semicircle at 3 hexes, allowing the Mk3 to keep firing on the enemy Mk5. INF didn't even get involved as the Mk5 was stripped and neutered fast.

4. Lucky Break: Again a pile of SHVY and INF behind them. Came up the east road, fanning out before the Mk4 got in range. Swarmed around it and knocked out the launchers, then crept the INF up around the fight. Early off the game would hang if I killed the Mk4, but now it doesn't seem to care.

5. Hit and Run: This was a rough one, took me quite a few tries, and I hadn't considered overrunning the facilities till someone on the forum mentioned it. Final group was 5xSHVY, 10xHVY, 10xGEV. The SHVY started in the north and plowed through the Mk1s, took out the north outpost, then pushed for the SW one. GEVs shot up the main road from the NE start and overran the rest of the outposts. HVYs started east and engaged the Mk3 while taking out the SE outpost. Once I started overrunning, never even saw enemy reinforcements before winning.

6. Reactor Raid: Probably took 5 tries for this one. Didn't have a great plan at first. Finally settled on a mix of HVY & GEV. Flanked the GEVs behind them, and kept the roads in front of them cut. Had to figure out it was about stopping the OGREs from *leaving* that was the objective, as trying to stop them from reaching the reactors requires you to be too reckless.

7. Turning the Tables: Another rough one. I ended up beating this will all SHVYs, starting in the middle of the east edge. This let me connect with the road quickly, and just obliterate the first pair of Mk1s. Then half of them pushed west still to take on the second pair. The third pair had town/swamp embedded INF waiting for them, plus the surviving SHVYs and a host of GEVs on their tail. I've beaten it twice, and both times it was close, with the GEVs stopping them just shy of the water. I went for MBs before they were south of my units, and I'm curious if it would have been easier to ignore the MBs and go for treads only...

8. Essential Personnel: Actually got this one on the first try, but it was sloppy and lucky. I ran HVYs and GEVs for this one. I knocked out all three missile tubes on the Mk4 with three consecutive howitzer shots. The OGREs also did not seem to focus on the howitzers either. I barely stopped the Mk3 from reaching the tracks, and the train barely stayed one move ahead of the Mk4. I haven't tried this one again.

9. Coastal Assault: Took three tries to get it. First time I lost all the GEVs because I wasn't paying attention to who moved first and had 3 stacks of GEVs deployed. Second time I danced around too much, trying to get the GEVs to last the whole map. Once I realized that taking out the broadcast gets you the MkV to reinforce, I had a plan. 4 GEV on each side, 4 in the middle. Knock out all three HWZ on the first turn, and spread out on the shore. Round 2 & 3 took out the comms and scattered. As the OGRE arrives suicide run for as many HWZs as possible. The Mk5 made landfall in the middle town and took out the OGREs, then plodded up to the HQ for the win. Tricky start, but ultimately really easy once the OGRE is on the map.

10. Beginning of the End: I found this mission to be really easy. I did my usual start--just a pile of SHVYs to ignore all the ridges, and all the infantry on the east. I just raced along taking how HWZ and stripping the guns off the OGREs. When the reinforcements hit I was about halfway across the map already, and then I thought, "Oh sweet I get an ogre!" The I realized I got FOUR ogres. I brought the Mk3s and Mk5 from the north, to smash the enemy Mk5 and Mk2s that were there, while the Mk4 raced in from the east, plugged into the road, and just zipped along lobbing missiles into everything. I think 2 of my SHVYs made it to the factory, clearing out HWZs along the way, while the Mk4s only important shot was to strip the MB off a Mk1. I overran the factory with my Mk4 (for laughs really) and it wouldn't let me target the damned thing. I hadn't saved at all and I was pretty ticked off, but in desperation I saved right then and reloaded, and when it loaded back in the overran finished and I got a mission success. Whew!

The campaign definitely has given me some confidence with the rules and interaction of the units in OGRE--it's a game I've had since I was 12 (over 30 years) but I've only played with people a handful of times!
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Campaign Complete: Battle Reports

I don't think it is possible to lose Essential Personnel (unless you do something dumb like destroy the rails yourself); the AI just ignores the objective completely.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I don't think it is possible to lose Essential Personnel (unless you do something dumb like destroy the rails yourself); the AI just ignores the objective completely.
That's not what I am seeing. The Ogres go straight to the train and hit it when it is within range. I had one Ogre with nothing but AP left enter the hex and destroy the train (not clear from the screen whether it was a ram or whether it was the AP)

Have you tried Essential Personnel with the latest bugfixes in place?
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
That's not what I am seeing. The Ogres go straight to the train and hit it when it is within range. I had one Ogre with nothing but AP left enter the hex and destroy the train (not clear from the screen whether it was a ram or whether it was the AP)

Have you tried Essential Personnel with the latest bugfixes in place?
I think it was the next-to-last build. AI improvements aren't in the changelog for any of the recent builds though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
Wow. I saw the Ogres just sit around and spar with my units. They didn't even try to bypass anything. I've started the campaign game again, I'll watch for that.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
GuyMacon

Hit and Run:

Start with 1 GEV at the right as low as it will go, 1 light tank at the upper right corner. 28 GEVs on the top as far left as they can go, 1 Light tank in that last partial GEV stack.

The lone GEV and the light tanks are bait. Three of the GEVs will have to take a longer path, but that's OK -- they will catch up, and you can put one of the latecomers in the upper left corner as bait.

With your main GEV force, move counterclockwise from one command post to the next, trying to avoid Ogres. Go ahead and take a potshot at the weapons of an Ogre if it is within range and you have no command post to attack, but basically you want to leave the Ogres in the dust.

Move your bait GEV down, your corner bait LT along the road, and the other bait LT left. Once an Ogre starts pursuing the bait, make it run away, trying to lure the Ogre farther away from the action.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote