Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
flyingwombat

Default Re: How Obsessive Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambers
The comments above about using it as a game setting are interesting. I collect the GURPS WWII books for intellectual curiosity but feel uncomfortable about the idea of running it for a group as a game.
Most of the people I regular game with are not interested in a WWII setting. Though I do believe it's their loss for not giving it a try. I have argued that I wasn't going to have the players invading Tarawa, to no avail.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

More obsessively than I would probably admit. As a child, I loved to build models, and have always found prop-driven planes more "romantic" than jets. I played with green plastic army soldiers in the sandbox, and had a toy plastic machine gun in the days when they didn't need an orange tip.

I have visited Pearl Harbor, Normandy, Terezin, and the Museum of Terror in Budapest (which shows how badly the Hungarians suffered at the hands of the Nazis, only to be "liberated" into Communism).

I have done mock-dogfighting in a real-live airplane just to see what it might be like.

And I have a collection of Corgi planes and tanks because they make great table-top gaming visual aids. Sadly, I have played GURPS WWII very little (although I own all the materials. . .).

Socially and academically, I find the WWII era an amazing and horrible period of human history. It's hard to imagine the entire world being devoted to the development of weapons, rationing of resources, and the waging of war. It's a lesson to be learned in responsible leadership and civic duty. It shows the best and worst of what humanity can do, and it is not remote history. . .the results of WWII reinvented the sociopolitical world we live in to this day.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default How Obsessive Are You?

Fortunately, I know people who own a variety of WW II era firearms.

So I've had the chance to fire an M1 carbine, the SMLE and Mk. 4 Lee Enfields, a 1903 Springfield, a 98 Mauser, a 1911A1 (".45"), and a 1917 Smith and Wesson .45 revolver.

I managed to shoot an M1 Garand once and rated high marksman with it (no, this is not that impressive to a shooter, but it's OK for me.)

Conclusion -- they're reliable, powerful, and accurate. I would not want to have anyone shooting at me with any of these.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Just visited Finland and saw the Vesikko and a museum exhibit about the Winter War. Wow, that was a tiny submarine!!

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

This is an interesting thread and everything, but where's the GURPS content? I figured this was a thread about the Obsession disadvantage or something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Dammann

Was there a separate GURPS WWII sub forum at one time that merged into the GURPS forum in more recent times, perhaps?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Was there a separate GURPS WWII sub forum at one time that merged into the GURPS forum in more recent times, perhaps?
Yes, exactly so. This thread presumably started in there.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
George Macdonald Fraser says that a historian also says that PIATs were never used in Burma despite the fact he himself shot one
Historian or PIAT?

I've been to Arnhem, various WWII museums in England, Auschwitz-Birkenau, Westerplatte, and generally if there's a WWII museum near to where I am overseas I'll go there. I own a fair number of WWII books, but I have no idea about the number.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wwii