Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
Eugee

Default Facepalm On-Demand

Pull up a Mk5 Attacks Skirmish Game, and set both sides to AI.

Holy crap it's hard to watch. Especially the *ridiculous* number of 1:2 attacks it will attempt. GEVs getting killed by a M2 OGRE with no MBs is the saddest thing. It doesn't feel like the AI looks even one move ahead.

Maybe it was watching 8 GEVs take 1:2 shots at the missiles all the way to the center line.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Facepalm On-Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugee View Post
Pull up a Mk5 Attacks Skirmish Game, and set both sides to AI.

Holy crap it's hard to watch. Especially the *ridiculous* number of 1:2 attacks it will attempt. GEVs getting killed by a M2 OGRE with no MBs is the saddest thing. It doesn't feel like the AI looks even one move ahead.

Maybe it was watching 8 GEVs take 1:2 shots at the missiles all the way to the center line.
AI vs AI is probably a very good way to expose some of these kinds of issues.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In the Beta the AI seemed smarter (although just to me, apparently, since everyone else seemed to report idiot AI). Although it was cheating by stacking 15 infantry. Were there different AIs in the various Beta builds?

I had a lot of trouble before, but since release I just get complete victories...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

I wonder if the AI properly understands that missiles are one-shot. It seems to have way more interest in shooting them off (early, not late to knock critical hexes off the range) than I've ever seen justified.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I wonder if the AI properly understands that missiles are one-shot. It seems to have way more interest in shooting them off (early, not late to knock critical hexes off the range) than I've ever seen justified.
Ideally, it will fire them off early if you are targeting them, and hold back if you are targeting other systems.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
Ideally, it will fire them off early if you are targeting them, and hold back if you are targeting other systems.
I think there's room for extensive debate on that, albeit in no way specific to computer Ogre!

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to conserve missiles that the enemy is targeting, so that they keep targeting them rather than other components. On the other hand, missiles that the enemy is ignoring and I'm just carrying around are missiles that aren't helping me but could be preventing damage by knocking out enemy tanks.

(Ultimately, my usual approach is to conserve one or two missiles for a long-range threat to howitzers/CP and spend any others early to thin out armor - waiting to find out whether the enemy will focus on the missiles doesn't seem a great use of time.)