Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Anders

Default Has COVID hit your gaming?

Because it certainly has hit mine. I would much prefer to meet in real-life, but that's apparently not an option at the moment. Instead we have to meet over a virtual tabletop. Blech.

And you?
Old 03-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

One of my players has suggested playing over Discord or something, but we still haven't made concrete plans. I'm sure it's possible to play with several players over voice chat, but so far, I've not had good experiences with it.

Also, I enjoy ordinary social interaction much more than technological substitutes. We joke that one of my players* has been practicing self-isolation for all his life. Now, finally, he's the hero we deserve. I am not, however, on his level.

*Well, technically, although he hasn't actually played a session with us for about five years.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #3
Polydamas

Everyone (well, Dork Tower and XKCD) is making the self-isolation jokes, and I see the obligatory Monty Python and the Holy Grail clip, but no "we cannot get out. Songs, songs on high."? Come on guys, step it up!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Yeah, one of the group is of vulnerable health and three of us work in a service type job that exposes us to lots of people daily. Rather than risk it we are on hiatus and looking into VTT.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
Anders

Checking out AstralTabletop right now. Not very impressed.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Icelander

Possible, uh, positive gaming impact from otherwise negative news, in that one of my players, who usually has little time to game has asked to join us when we play on Discord.

The negative is that is is because he's in isolation because of symptoms. He'll know tonight if he's infected or not. If he is, he wants to use the two weeks plus in isolation to game, so that's good. Also, he's not in any vulnerable group, so over 99% odds of survival.

Edit: It's confirmed. One of my players has COVID-19. His odds are excellent, in fact, he is the healthiest person who games with me.

I'm unlikely to have caught it from him, since it's a few days since I met him, but I'll avoid contact with anyone for the next two weeks nonetheless. Given that I already had flu-like symptoms because it's the end of winter before this started, it's not like there would be any new signs if I had been infected.

My odds are pretty good too. At least 95%. Well, 90%, maybe. Better than that, surely. I don't have all of the risk factors, my lungs are fine, I think. :-)

Last edited by Icelander; 03-19-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
Anders

Glass half-full.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
cptbutton

Monday night FtF game on indefinite hiatus, and not going to the game store game day any more. Still doing IRC Traveller. Meaning to read up more on FG.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
WingedKagouti

My current group is on hiatus, in large part because the GM's job involves visiting people who may be in one or more high risk groups.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Anthony

We'd started experimenting with roll20 last year (mostly for map management), but since it's already set up it's fairly easy for us to convert to totally remote. I'm thinking of creating additional games, tbh.

Tags
gaming, illness