Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Mixing kinds of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
One major hole in the skill system is how One Spell Magery costs 2/level so it's the cheaper investment (with other side benefits, like extending effect) past the initial 1 point in a skill. The only limits are whether or not the GM allows it to be purchased, .
I've never seen One Spell Magery even bought. Probably because I seriously doubt that it's legal to buy it more than once.

So if you have One Spell Magery you will be a Johnny One Spell by definition.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
Plane

You're right, I took a second look at Thaumatology 25, didn't remember the "nobody can buy One-Spell Magery multiple times for different spells" part. This makes "One College Magery" and "Power Casting" (Magical Styles 29) a lot more distinctive I suppose.

Of course there is the tiered option to do stuff like "3 Spell Magery" -70% or "5 Spell Magery -60%", which is actually a BETTER deal than taking One Spell Magery twice if you specify this for your favorites.

Last edited by Plane; 09-29-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You're right, I took a second look at Thaumatology 25, didn't remember the "nobody can buy One-Spell Magery multiple times for different spells" part. This makes "One College Magery" and "Power Casting" (Magical Styles 29) a lot more distinctive I suppose.

Of course there is the tiered option to do stuff like "3 Spell Magery" -70% or "5 Spell Magery -60%", which is actually a BETTER deal than taking One Spell Magery twice if you specify this for your favorites.
If Magery is a learnable advantage, it might be interesting in a 'magical school' game for a lot of mages to start out with One-Spell Magery, and need to develop it to less limited forms, or possibly to decide whether they want to proceed in widening their capabilities, or limit themselves to being more powerful in one college, or one section of a college (e. g. 'Lightning Spells Only' or 'Acid Spells Only').

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, magic, variant rules