Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #11
Erling

Default Re: Critique my special forces sniper

Techniques: Immediate Action, Precision Aiming.
Perks: Deadeye, Tracer Eyes, Cross-Trained.

All from Tactical Shooting.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Should someone who gets himself into positions where he needs to reload quickly be a sniper?
I don't plan to spend every mission in a camoflaged hide 2000 yards away from the rest of the party. There are times my character will play more of a designated marksman.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
I don't plan to spend every mission in a camoflaged hide 2000 yards away from the rest of the party. .
Then you may have spent too many points on Camouflage.

PCs don't often get to spend that much time on offense with lots of prep time. Double this for solo activities.

Refocusing as a designated marksman might be a reasonable idea.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
Varyon

Fast-Draw is probably fine. Granted, shaving a single second off of reloading time isn't that great (weapons with magazines have a base time of only 3 seconds to reload), but it's only an investment of [1]. You've got a lot of wasted points in Guns - just consolidate them into Guns (Rifle) at 17 [12], this will get you Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, and LMG at 15, Grenade Launcher and LAW at 13, which should be good enough. If you're making a sniper, you'll want to boost Guns (Rifle) up quite a bit. This may be of use to you for determining what sort of skill level you need, and note that, as all your other Guns skills are defaulting off Rifle, each boost to it boosts them as well. In fact, in general you should be mindful of defaults - consolidating Engineer (Combat) and your two Explosive skills into Explosives (Demolition) will result in Engineer (Combat)-11, Explosives (Demolition)-17 [20], and Explosives (EOD)-13 - you'll be marginally worse at the Combat Engineer supporting skill, markedly better at your primary Explosives skill, and the same for your secondary Explosives skill, for the same point investment, and it means that any further improvement improves all three skills at once. You may wish to do something similar with Survival and Camouflage as well - putting in 1 more point and consolidating them all into a single Survival specialty will give you that Survival at 17, related specialties and Camouflage at 15, and more distant specialties at 13, IIRC.

Thrown Weapon (Axe) probably isn't that great of an idea. When you find yourself without the ability to use your primary (the rifle) or secondary (pistol) weapons, you're likely either in a position where you can't throw your tomahawk, or one where you probably shouldn't be throwing away your best tertiary weapon. At the very least, you should probably be better at swinging your weapon than at throwing it.

Computer Operation isn't necessary for typical computer usage, and would be more appropriate for a character who's (current or former) MOS deals closely with computers. Similar is true of Electronics Operations (and basic operation of a military-style radio is indeed covered by Soldier).

As others have noted, you character is in serious need of Climbing, Hiking, and Swimming. Hiking will be the highest; I'd argue for Climbing next (useful for getting into sniping positions), and Swimming being the lowest, but it will depend on what sort of environments your character trained in. First Aid is also highly appropriate, at least at a low level. Medics may well have Physician instead.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Fast-Draw is probably fine. Granted, shaving a single second off of reloading time isn't that great (weapons with magazines have a base time of only 3 seconds to reload), but it's only an investment of [1]. You've got a lot of wasted points in Guns - just consolidate them into Guns (Rifle) at 17 [12], this will get you Pistol, SMG, Shotgun, and LMG at 15, Grenade Launcher and LAW at 13, which should be good enough. If you're making a sniper, you'll want to boost Guns (Rifle) up quite a bit. This may be of use to you for determining what sort of skill level you need, and note that, as all your other Guns skills are defaulting off Rifle, each boost to it boosts them as well. In fact, in general you should be mindful of defaults - consolidating Engineer (Combat) and your two Explosive skills into Explosives (Demolition) will result in Engineer (Combat)-11, Explosives (Demolition)-17 [20], and Explosives (EOD)-13 - you'll be marginally worse at the Combat Engineer supporting skill, markedly better at your primary Explosives skill, and the same for your secondary Explosives skill, for the same point investment, and it means that any further improvement improves all three skills at once. You may wish to do something similar with Survival and Camouflage as well - putting in 1 more point and consolidating them all into a single Survival specialty will give you that Survival at 17, related specialties and Camouflage at 15, and more distant specialties at 13, IIRC.
It looks like EOD only defaults to IQ-5 in the basic set. Was this updated somewhere? I have already changed around guns to make that work, but hadn't looked at Survival.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
It looks like EOD only defaults to IQ-5 in the basic set. Was this updated somewhere?
Look at the end of the Explosives description, in the third column of p194.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Look at the end of the Explosives description, in the third column of p194.
Ah! There it is!

Tags
special ops