Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #21
jcsp

Default Re: JCSP character management tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I...never knew that. Thanks for dropping a knowledge bomb in here. You should definitely change it to "Perk" though, since perquisite looks too much like prerequisite and doesn't appear in the GURPS rule anywhere. :)
Good point about prerequisite.

I do seem to have company, though: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=668404

Last edited by jcsp; 03-10-2016 at 02:18 PM.
jcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #22
jcsp

I have fixed the draggability of the dialog boxes on the character sheet pages on the website. Please note that the corresponding stuff in the download file is NOT yet fixed. Will do that soon; I just wanted the dialog boxes to work right for people who are playing around ASAP.

Last edited by jcsp; 03-10-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding sig didn't work
Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #23
jcsp

Has anybody tried loading some of the Iconic character files I have on the website? I think this is the quickest way to see a lot of features, many of which you might not have imagined might be there (like the character art and equipment management).

Just copy one of the file URLs, go to a character sheet, select File -> Open Character URL and paste it in.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsp View Post
Has anybody tried loading some of the Iconic character files I have on the website? I think this is the quickest way to see a lot of features, many of which you might not have imagined might be there (like the character art and equipment management).

Just copy one of the file URLs, go to a character sheet, select File -> Open Character URL and paste it in.
I looked in. As a funny note, You can open 3rd edition characters in 4e sheets. And yeah, you get some interesting features viewed that way

I can't figure out how you're supposed to create or change metatraits/templates (like C31's robot body). Also, if you remove something from a trait, clicking on it does nothing (as opposed to letting you add it back)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #25
jcsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I can't figure out how you're supposed to create or change metatraits/templates (like C31's robot body). Also, if you remove something from a trait, clicking on it does nothing (as opposed to letting you add it back)
Create a template/metatrait by starting a new character, giving it all the traits, etc. that you want in the template, and then saving it a special way using File -> Save As Template. There are a number of templates already available, too; at Build -> Use a Template.

Changing an existing template is tricky right now. The components are listed as pseudo-traits that you can see when you open the Edit Ad or Disad window. Deleting things is simple, but adding new ones to the template is not currently supported.

I'm not sure I follow you about removing something from a trait. Do you mean editing the trait to remove a modifier?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #26
jcsp

Default JCSP v1,6

I've released an update. I fixed a few bugs, including the one that broke being able to drag the dialogs around, so you can do that again now. I also wrote a couple of tutorials, which you can link to from the JCSP page. There's a new tool under the Edit menu too.

<curmudgeonrant>
I also (reluctantly) changed 'perq(s)' to 'perk(s)'. I hope that makes you happy.
</curmudgeonrant>
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
Bruno

Since the word is a term of art, ie a technical term, and very little to do with perquisites, yes, thanks :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #28
jcsp

Another update. Notable new features:
  • Implementation of a requested feature - 'new' characters now get height/weight adjustments as the ST attribute is changed. This is a preference (defaulting to 'true'), so you can turn it off after the character is complete.
  • Addition of an 'All Equipment and Possessions' page, so you can look at your big pile of stuff without having to encumber yourself with it.
  • Points and costs can now be displayed as (common) fractions, if you like.
  • Tech Level information (e.g., showing a skill like Traps/TL3) can now be turned off (so it would just be shown as Traps), if your campaign never concerns itself with different Tech Levels.

Update is now live in the usual place.

Last edited by jcsp; 06-20-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #29
dom1

Hi Jim,

This is a fantastic tool and I've been playing around with it quite a bit. One thing that I can't get to work (probably my fault) is that when I equip a character with armour, it doesn't show up on the DR boxes for each part of the body? Am I missing something? This is on a 3e character sheet BTW as I'm just like you and have never played 4th edition rules :)

The other thing is that the default font for the character and player names etc is a bit difficult to read - is it possible to change this when creating the sheet? I'm using it on a MacBook via Safari, not sure if that affects the font choices?

Thanks,

Dom

Last edited by dom1; 06-21-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Missed a question out
dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #30
jcsp

Hi Dom, glad you like the tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1 View Post
One thing that I can't get to work (probably my fault) is that when I equip a character with armour, it doesn't show up on the DR boxes for each part of the body? Am I missing something?
OK, I'm going to ask a couple of questions, to narrow down what your trouble is. First, are you using the 1-page or the 2-page 3rd-edition sheet? The 1-page sheet doesn't do body parts . . . If you are using the 2-page sheet, have you done the shift-click-to-use bit to the armo(u)r? A character can be carrying armor without wearing it - armor needs to be 'worn' to affect DR and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom1 View Post
The other thing is that the default font for the character and player names etc is a bit difficult to read - is it possible to change this when creating the sheet? I'm using it on a MacBook via Safari, not sure if that affects the font choices?
Yeah, that font . . . I have been noodling around with various fonts for a while, trying to find something that looks vaguely hand-written, but isn't also weird and hard to read. The handwriting fonts all seem to vary quite significantly by browser and operating system, especially in size. So I'm not happy with it yet, either. Perhaps offering a few options as a preference would help with this. Perhaps I should simply give up on the handwritten look and be practical (which is to say, go back to something much more standard). The short answer is 'no', there isn't a way to change it, except to ask me, at the moment.

Eww, I see what you mean (just looked in Safari/Mac). That's not actually the fault of the font, but the CSS I used to format the text boxes for Appearance, Point Total, and a few other places. This is another thing that varies maddeningly between browsers and OS's, but I must try to nail it down a bit better.

Last edited by jcsp; 06-21-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: I went and looked