Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Axly Suregrip

Default questions about jobs for your hero

Questions:

1) on ITL pg 57 if you fail the Risk roll, and the save, your hero takes 4 dice of damage. Does armor affect this damage?

2) say your character dies from his job. Well that's boring. Maybe a better result is he is fired and banned from that profession. Or went AWOL and now is a wanted man and may not return to the Army. Or his lab burned to the ground destroying tens of thousands of silver worth of lab, supplies and item. Or... anything is better than you character dying "off screen" with no story or competition. Whatever the damage, it should have a permanent effect. Banned from a career, a town, a province or great finance loss or favorite magic item loss, etc. This is only if the damage exceed your ST (and question #1 may determine that).
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: questions about jobs for your hero

1) Generally, no but up to the GM. Technically, I guess it would depend on the job... mercs and soldiers would likely be wearing armor when the event happens, but the again, maybe the character got into a bar brawl that went really wrong.

2) I play it out if I can rather than roll for random 'wandering' damage. If I can't, I follow my own guidelines about what happens (most of which mirrors your own suggestions) and the event will get worked into the character's backstory in some interesting way (and potentially used for future plot-hooks).

Last edited by TippetsTX; 06-17-2020 at 08:25 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Shostak

1. Sure, armor should protect, if you bother to use these rules.

2. I agree. You can even have the player share in the storytelling by having to create some kind of setback in response to the failed rolls that they now had to deal with. I sometimes do something similar to cut to the chase on an adventure. Let's say the group of characters is exploring a distant cave and you want to gloss over the journey there. Have each player roll 3d against their character's lowest attribute explaining why they took 1d damage on a failure, or some bit of awesomeness on a critical success. Good role playing earns a a little extra XP.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
Skarg

1) I would suppose it would depend whether you were wearing that armor at the time or not.

2) If the character is a PC that the player cares about, I would strongly suggest that the GM have job events be actual situations that get played out, not "roll or take 4d damage". That can turn them into something interesting and meaningful, and give the players a role in determining what happens in a much fairer and more satisfying way.

I'd suggest developing the job rolls so that events happen more frequently but have different types and severity that mean you play out different types of on-the-job events with different possible risks, rewards, and developments.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote