Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
zot

Default Who will replace the Hymenopterans?

The Hymenopterans were my favorite monsters. They reminded me of the Sleestaks from Land of the Lost, with their alien culture and technology. The Droyne were my favorite Traveller race -- maybe they were influenced by the Hymenopterans.

I sure hope there will be another monstrous culture to replace them. Maybe one with artifacts. I've REALLY enjoyed Steve's creative extras posts -- I ran a TFT game last night for a group new to the game and the Cheesemaker's ball came up at the table.

I have great confidence that TFT Legacy will have something as good as, or better than the Hymenopterans!

No pressure, Steve...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Who will replace the Hymenopterans?

Why are Hymenopterans being removed?
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Why are Hymenopterans being removed?
Howard Thompson has the rights to Chitin I, so to be safe, Steve Jackson is not carrying them across. Legally he is likely OK, but better safe than sorry.

I was a huge fan of the bugs and likely have 100 or so hand drawn bugs (in many subspecies), as well as more from the counters sheets I made for my fanzines.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Shadekeep

Curious that anyone else should claim rights to the Hymenopterans, since they are basically (hah!) lifted directly from Jack Vance's "The Dragon Masters". If anyone has the rights to those, it's Jack's estate. I should know, I do work for them. ^_^

If Steve Jackson wants to include the beasts from "The Dragon Masters", or any other Vance materials, I am happy to facilitate communications there. Can't guarantee anything, but worth trying if there is interest.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Curious that anyone else should claim rights to the Hymenopterans, since they are basically (hah!) lifted directly from Jack Vance's "The Dragon Masters". If anyone has the rights to those, it's Jack's estate. I should know, I do work for them. ^_^ ...
Hi Shadekeep.
I am a huge fan of "The Dragon Masters!" After that story, I started looking for Jack Vance, and was well rewarded for my search. (Gushing fan boy mode on.)

Pass on my well wishes, and my enthusiasm of Jack's work, to his heirs.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 08-09-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Rick_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Shadekeep.
I am a huge fan of "The Dragon Masters"! After that story, I started looking for Jack Vance, and was well rewarded for my search. (Gushing fan boy mode on.)

Pass on my well wishes, and my enthusiasm of Jack's work to his heirs.

Warm regards, Rick.
Hello Rick, always good to meet a fellow Vancian! Jack's work had so much influence on the formative days of gaming (*cough* D&D's magic system) and I'm delighted to see it live on in others.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Curious that anyone else should claim rights to the Hymenopterans, since they are basically (hah!) lifted directly from Jack Vance's "The Dragon Masters". If anyone has the rights to those, it's Jack's estate. I should know, I do work for them. ^_^

If Steve Jackson wants to include the beasts from "The Dragon Masters", or any other Vance materials, I am happy to facilitate communications there. Can't guarantee anything, but worth trying if there is interest.
How lucky you are! I LOVE me some Jack Vance. One of the best authors in the business, in my opinion. I miss his brilliance.

(And I'm glad to see someone else clearly recognized the blatant rip-off of Vance's Dragonmasters in the form of the Hymenopterans!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

I cannot recall, from when we had this discussion in the past, who proposed simply renaming the various types of "bugs" as: The Antmen, The Waspmen, The Spidermen (no jokes, please LOL!), The ____men. etc; and I apologize to whomever it was for not being able to recall who you are. I thought their solution was simple, effective, and brilliant at filling the need, making use of the content, and adroitly sidestepping any potential (real or imagined) intellectual property issues.

I do recall commenting at that time, how good I thought their "fix" was, and that so much of the *very* early science-fiction which I used to enjoy often had some sort of Human/Insect or Human/Animal hybrid race as an antagonist force.

So, I will throw that's person's (apologies to "mystery person") idea back in the ring for consideration.

"Waspmen, and Antmen, and Scorpionmen,... oh my!!"... You're definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
larsdangly

Sounds to me like a great opportunity to present a bunch of bug-people monsters with a new goofy name. I suggest 'Blymenblopterans'
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
JLV

Well, all I'll say is that if there ISN'T a replacement of some type for them, the Hymenopterans ("bugmen", whatever) will still make appearances in my games! They're too cool a concept NOT to. ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote