Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
Valerio Meucci

Default Faster Natural Recovery and Healing Rules: are there any?

Hi everybody,
pretty much what the title say: are there any official or homebrew rule for a faster natural healing and recovery of fatigue points and hit points, for Gurps 3rd (no, I'm not thinking of an Advantage or something similar, I'm thinking more of a general rule)
Many thanks!
V.
Valerio Meucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
a humble lich

Default Re: Faster Natural Recovery and Healing Rules: are there any?

When running a Supers game, I would just give everyone Slow regeneration for free. A GM you can set the rate of natural healing to whatever you want. If you feel for the game tone you want everyone heals fully after 8 hours of rest, just say so.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
Valerio Meucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
When running a Supers game, I would just give everyone Slow regeneration for free. A GM you can set the rate of natural healing to whatever you want. If you feel for the game tone you want everyone heals fully after 8 hours of rest, just say so.
Thank you very much! I've also seen a lot of interesting variant rules in Gurps Compendium II; many thanks again!
V.
Valerio Meucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
namada

Official rules in the Compendium II:
  • Flesh Wounds (p151) - just give out more CP per session for this reason
  • use the "I'm not Dead Yet" rules (p154), as they cause much faster healing
Or, unofficially, just double, triple (or whatever you want to multiply by), the standard rates of healing. It's your game, so do whatever you like.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
RyanW

I would just give an extra healing roll a day, or several.

If you want to emphasize the cinematic "bounce back" after a fight, you could instead say half of all damage is short term system shock, and goes away when you catch your breath after the action.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Black Leviathan

A more faithful solution might be to give the players access to a medicine or technology that accelerates healing dramatically. It can create a loyalty to an organization that provides the healing or might motivate caution with a limited supply of fast healing.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Anthony

Supers for 3rd edition had stun rules that recovered much faster, though they were kinda weird.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
Boge

One thing you can do is heal 1 per wound, not just 1 in total. That's what my group does.

However, our sessions have become 1 session is 1 day in game time. So it's super super slow. I may have to suggest 1 per wound per session, maybe even more.

There will be things about Gurps where if you play it realistically, it won't be fun. You have to remember that it is just a game and if you have to sacrifice realism for entertainment, do it and don't feel guilty about it. If it means your characters are becoming super-skilled overnight, so be it. Healing in a day? Fine. If everyone is happy, do it and try not to obsess over the details so much.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
Varyon

At least in 4e, tracking wounds separately and having them all heal concurrently can greatly speed up healing, at least if you're healing from several moderate wounds instead of just one big one. Healing HP equal to Margin of Success (minimum 1 HP) on the recovery roll would also greatly speed up healing. As already noted, increasing the number of recovery rolls per day and/or giving everyone some sort of Regeneration for free also boosts it. I assume most of the alternate options that would work in 4e would be backward-compatible with 3e, at least to some extent.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Anthony

The simple solution is to just house rule healing, though. It's not like ruling everyone recovers hourly instead of daily will break anything other than making basic regeneration not worth anything.