Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Cato the Elder

Default Realistic Prices in DF8?

While the Dungeon Fantasy series is not meant to be realistic in the slightest, I am curious as to whether the prices listed for "mundane" treasures in the loot tables have any basis in reality. Especially of interest to me are the commodities: fabrics, alcohol, and other economic goods. Do they match up with the prices listed in Low-Tech, its companions, Lord of the Manor and/or At Play in the Fields, or will I have to look elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Realistic Prices in DF8?

Keeping in mind that there are some pretty wide error bars on the prices in the Low Tech series, prices for utterly mundane goods are...let's say "not implausible." They won't necessarily match up where overlapping items exist, but they're within the realm of reason where they don't.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Realistic Prices in DF8?

Even without repeated feedback from Matt (in various threads), my assumption would be that the DF8 prices for mundane items are probably good enough for historical RPG use. I would do a few spot checks against other sources (such as Ars Magica material), but I'd have expected them to come back positive.

Because there really are just two ways to go about assigning values to loot meant for sale (as opposed to loot that has direct use during adventuring).

1. Go by historical sources, at worst simplifying massively.

2. Apply a strict principle of sales convenience, where good loot is divisible into small easy-to-sell bits and has a very high $-value-per-kilogram ratio, and bad loot which is indivisible and has a very low $-value-per-kilogram ratio.

#2 is clearly simpler to do, but strikes me as unusual for a SJ Games product (even for DF, which isn't even half as low-brow as it's often marketed as being) and even more so for a Matt Riggsby product.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commodity, dungeon fantasy, economics, low-tech, prices