Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Electrovolt (Finished Version)

Electrovolt

Strength: 17
Endurance: 08
Agility: 08
Intelligence: 18
Charisma: 07
Adaptation Device: A uniform that provides him with some protection against attack, and the ability to operate underwater or theoretically in space for up to 13 hours
Lightning Control Device: 9 Charges. Range 26. 2d8 damage, can electrify body as a defense without using a charge, 1 charge to attack, take control of electrical devices or short them out.
Heightened Senses Device: Circuit scanner allow the detection of electrical flows. Built into his helmet. Allows him to see all electrical flows in his field of vision. Adds +4 to his Agility for the purpose of controlling electrical devices.
Death Touch Device: 1 Charge. Same device as the Lightning control, but has it's own charge. Creates a potential jolt of electricity released when he successfully touches a foe.

Male: 120 lbs
Level 5 +1 Strength, +2 Agility, +1 Intelligence
Basic Hits 3
Modified Hits 3
Healing .6
Damage Modifier +1
Accuracy Modifier +2
Detect Hidden Object 14%
Detect Danger 18%
Reaction Modifier -2
Carrying Capacity 342 lbs
Basic HTH 1d6
Movement: 33
Power: 51

Electrovolt is a genius who grew up in desperate poverty and has taken to burglary to try to add to his financial and technological resources. Over his basic protective suit he wears a pair of gloves that allow him to remotely control and short out electrical devices, especially security systems (consider him to be an expert at controlling cameras and what they show and record. He never fails at doing that). As supervillains go, he's a total lightweight and not at all sure of himself. His one shot ability to induce cardiac arrest with a touch delivered jolt is something he'll only use if he's almost out of power and sees no other way to escape.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-15-2022 at 05:18 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 01:56 AM   #12
David Johnston2

Default Brainpower

Weakness Detection: =
Paralysis Ray:
Mind Control:
Flight
Telepathy:
Flight (reroll)
Willpower
Magic Spells

Vulnerability

Drop Flight, Magic Spells, Vulnerability.

Completed Character

Brainpower
Strength: 11
Endurance: 12
Agility: 13
Intelligence: 19
Charisma: 13
Weakness Detection: Range 1, +7 to hit
Paralysis Ray: Range 24, Power Cost 7 (Attacks as Mind Control)
Mind Control: Range 3, Power Cost 20
Flight
Telepathy: Range 90
Flight (reroll)
Willpower +10 Intelligence
Magic Spells
Vulnerability
Male 160 lbs
Level 2 +1 Strength
Basic Hits 4
Modified Hits 10
Damage Modifier +1
Accuracy: +1
Detect Hidden: 14%
Detect Danger: 18%
Reaction Mod: 1
Carrying Capacity: 202
Basic Hand To Hand Damage: 1d4
Move: 36
Power: 45

Brainpower is a political terrorist, turning random patsies into gun or bomb toting puppets to commit targeted assassinations and explosive attacks.
Old 12-16-2022, 03:56 AM   #13
whswhs

Default Re: Brainpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Brainpower
Strength: 11
Endurance: 12
Intelligence: 19
Charisma: 13
Weakness Detection: Range 1, +7 to hit
Paralysis Ray: Range 24, Power Cost 7 (Attacks as Mind Control)
Mind Control: Range 3, Power Cost 20
———
Telepathy: Range 90
Flight (reroll)
Willpower +10 Intelligence
———
———
I was wondering how you managed to roll a 19 until I saw your interpretation of Willpower.

I had never been sure how to apply Willpower B, and thus had tended to choose Willpower A, which also has the benefit of serving as a defense in combat with fists or conventional weapons.

Looking at this, I'm not sure I like that interpretation. Getting +10 to I is exactly the sort of result you might expect from Heightened Intelligence A. But it seems redundant to have two different traits that can give exactly the same benefit; and it seems excessive to have one trait that can give the same benefit as any of five other traits, with the player getting to choose. If I were going to allow this sort of thing (and it does seem to be justified by the text of Willpower, I agree), I think I would set a more restrictive limit—perhaps no more than +5. Which of course would still make this character quite smart.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Default Gradient

I seem to be having a run of luck. Not a single roll for number of powers that has been three (+two) or less.
Gravity Control
Mind Control
Body Power:
Magnetic Powers
Willpower
Flight
High Charisma A
Phobia/Psychosis

Drop Mind Control

Gradient
Strength: 08
Endurance: 14
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 25
Gravity Control: up to 19x gravity increase or reverse, Power cost 1 to 19, Range 19
Body Power: Antennae allowing her to sense magnetism and gravity shifts
Magnetic Powers: 3800 lbs carrying capacity, range 19, 1d12 base damage, Power cost 5, Magnetic defense shield costs 1 power per hit.
Willpower +9 to strength when calculating range and strength of powers
Flight: 266 mph, power cost 1 per hour
High Charisma A +19
Phobia/Psychosis: Delusion: I am an alien sent to defend the world from the evil aliens
Female 140 lbs
Level 4 +1 Charisma, +2 Endurance, +1 Intelligence
Basic Hits: 3
Modified Hits: 5
Healing: .9
Damage Modifier: +1
Accuracy: +1
Detect Hiddn 8%
Detect Danager 12%
Reaction Mod +4
Carrying Capacity: 133 lbs
Basic HTH: 1d4
Move: 35
Power: 45

Gradient is a mutant, but doesn't know it. She thinks she's an alien (see Phobia/Psychosis) and she's gathering a quirky group of would be global defenders who are oblivious to her insanity and commit both crimes and acts of great heroism trying to find and foil the invading aliens. To be fair, invading aliens do actually exist. They've just spent a lot of time fighting demons, sinister corporations and the government looking for them.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-16-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:49 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Default Sunbolt

Flight
Power Blast
Heightened Sense
Heightened Expertise
Speed Bonus +90
Heightened Endurance A +10
Willpower B: +7 Strength
Diminished Senses

Drop Heightened Sense, Speed Bonus, Diminished Senses

Completed Character

Sunbolt
Strength: 14
Endurance: 13
Agility: 11
Intelligence 12
Charisma: 08
Flight 182 mph, Power Cost 1 per hour
Power Blast 1d20, Power Cost 1 per shot, Range 14,
Heightened Expertise: +4 to hit with Power Blast
Heightened Endurance A +10
Willpower B: +7 Strength
Male 140 lbs
Level 4
Basic Hits: 3
Modified Hits: 6
Healing: .9
Damage Modifier 0
Accuracy 0
Detect Hidden: 10%
Detect Danger: 14%
Carrying Capacity 218 lbs
Basic HTH 1d4

Sunbolt was a man dying of cancer when a solar flare caused a surge of radiation in his radiotherapy that should have instantly killed him but instead awakened a latent potential that burned away his cancer and filled him with energy. It also blew up the building he was in.

Of all the V&V characters I have ever rolled this one had the most terrible characteristics.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:47 AM   #16
whswhs

Default Re: The Return of the Character a Day Thread

Okay, you have eight characters so far: Angel Eyes, Brainpower, The Cloak, Electrovolt, Freon, Gradient, Gravesend, and Sunbolt.

Looking at them without regard for the game mechanics:

Angel Eyes: Not a hero and not very interesting as a villain. Her abilities other than the light powers don't seem to make sense for someone with her I and C values; they're not impossible, but they seem arbitrary. Clever rationalization for Paralysis Ray. C

Brainpower: Everything is coherent, and he's a nasty piece of work. A

The Cloak: High C doesn't seem to work well with his other traits, which make him a stealthy avenger or assassin. The Tarnkappe comes from a different mythos than the martial arts. Even the Natural Weaponry and Heightened Expertise are an odd fit: why not take the expertise in whatever unarmed combat skill the Natural Weaponry represents? Not very interesting either. D

Electrovolt: Kind of wimpy, as you say. The various electrical devices are well rationalized as fitting together; the protective uniform isn't, but it's tolerably generic. B

Freon: Not all that powerful, but a coherent concept. I'm not sure where you get the freezing when immersed! B

Gradient: Something of a chimera, with a bunch of disparate abilities, but an unusually ingenious job of fitting them together. I take it she's humanoid except for the antenna? B

Gravesend: Good narrative premise; abilities all seem to support it. However, it seems that his Death Touch is enabled by his Non-Corporealness, which makes his Weakness Detection irrelevant: He doesn't need to find a special weakness when essentially everyone is weak against his immateriality! B

Sunbolt: Rather close to the classic FISS or flying brick. His name is the least logical aspect; why would he even know about the solar flare? B

No total failures so far, and they average out to a B minus, probably about like run of the mill published superheroes.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #17
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Freon: Not all that powerful, but a coherent concept. I'm not sure where you get the freezing when immersed! B
"Freezing when immersed" makes perfect sense if Freon is constantly surrounded by air that's around -40 (C or F, either way). Fresh water would instantly freeze at this temperature. The more you increase the temp the slower the freezing would happen, but as long as it's under 32 deg F (0 deg C), it should still freeze.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Okay, you have eight characters so far: Angel Eyes, Brainpower, The Cloak, Electrovolt, Freon, Gradient, Gravesend, and Sunbolt.

Looking at them without regard for the game mechanics:

Angel Eyes: Not a hero and not very interesting as a villain. Her abilities other than the light powers don't seem to make sense for someone with her I and C values; they're not impossible, but they seem arbitrary. Clever rationalization for Paralysis Ray. C
Honestly I probably should have just gone with Willpower B and boosted her intelligence out of the borderline mentally handicapped range but I'd already visualized her as the villains dim-witted but dangerous girlfriend.

Quote:
The Cloak: High C doesn't seem to work well with his other traits, which make him a stealthy avenger or assassin. The Tarnkappe comes from a different mythos than the martial arts. Even the Natural Weaponry and Heightened Expertise are an odd fit: why not take the expertise in whatever unarmed combat skill the Natural Weaponry represents? Not very interesting either. D
Think a cross between Batman and a Nazgul. He doesn't use his Charisma to make friends but to terrify people. Bare hands are a martial arts weapon, so his expertise boost it as well as the staff his heroic version uses or the sword his villainous version uses.

Quote:
Electrovolt: Kind of wimpy, as you say. The various electrical devices are well rationalized as fitting together; the protective uniform isn't, but it's tolerably generic. B
He's basically Spider-Man's villain Shocker.

Quote:
Chemical Power is flexible, but is supposed to come with some kind of drawback. Basically, his refrigerant power automatically freezes water that comes into contact withhim.

Quote:
Gradient: Something of a chimera, with a bunch of disparate abilities, but an unusually ingenious job of fitting them together. I take it she's humanoid except for the antenna? B
Basically. Might give her a funny skin colour.

Quote:
Gravesend: Good narrative premise; abilities all seem to support it. However, it seems that his Death Touch is enabled by his Non-Corporealness, which makes his Weakness Detection irrelevant: He doesn't need to find a special weakness when essentially everyone is weak against his immateriality! B
It's mostly useful for the bonus to hit. Still it's nice for a guy like to know if his opponents have any phobias.

Quote:
Sunbolt: Rather close to the classic FISS or flying brick. His name is the least logical aspect; why would he even know about the solar flare? B
My first idea for a name was "Power Blast" but decided it was too on the nose.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-18-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Default Amanita

Disintegration Ray
Transformation
Stretching Power
Illusions
Weakness Detection
Heightened Charisma A +14
Special Requirement

Drop Transformation, weakness detection, and special requirement.

Oh...this one wins the prize for most boring.

Amanita
Strength: 08
Endurance: 13
Agility: 12
Intelligence: 06
Charisma: 25
Disintegration Ray: Range 8, 1d20 damage, Power cost 2 per shot
Weakness Detection +2 to hit
Heightened Charisma A +14
Female 110 lbs
Level 3 +1 strength, +1 intelligence, +1 charisma inventing attempt (failed,
Basic Hits 3
Modified Hits: 5
Damage Modifier 0
Accuracy +1
Detect Hidden 6%
Detect Danger 11%
Reaction Modifier 4
Carrying Capacity 100 lbs
Basic HTH 1d3
Move: 33
Power: 39
Amanita is a fearsome killer for hire who makes a point out of not just killing her foes but reducing their bodies to nothing but dust.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-19-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:49 PM   #20
David Johnston2

You know what the real problem with V&V random generation is? It's not producing characters that don't make sense. That almost never happens if you just switch to the skills once you've got a few powers or gadgets. It's that the chance of creating a super-strong character as opposed to a zapper is so low.