Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Sindri

Default Pangaea Ultima

I decided a while ago to use the Pangaea Ultima map for one of the settings I'm working on and since I've been doing stuff with it lately I thought I'd ask if anyone else has done anything with it (Or for that matter, other supercontinents.) or has any suggestions for using it.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
SolemnGolem

Default Re: Pangaea Ultima

Is this the one from Ultima II: Revenge of the Enchantress?
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Ashtagon

I'm guessing he means this:

http://www.scotese.com/future2.htm
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Sindri

Yes, that's right. I probably should have clarified.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Blind Mapmaker

Most of the continental drift scenarios would make for nice maps. The Pangaea Ultima is extremely similar to many fantasy world maps, complete with an inner sea, a northern baltic-ish area and some carribean/mediterranean-like parts. It could certainly make a nice fantasy setting, although I'd like to have some other medium-sized landmasses for far-off lands.

I haven't done anything with this or other super-continents, but if I did I would probably choose the Devonian or the Triassic era. They're much more interesting, in my opinion.

Could you tell us what kind of campaign you're planning? Fantasy vs. SF would certainly make some difference.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Sindri

I kind of like how there aren't any far off continents. You can already have pretty far off lands and it might be an interesting surprise for players in case they decide to go find Fantasy America. If I want to have a really far off place I'll stick a magical island out in the middle of the ocean. You only really need an island's worth of stuff for the typical length of time the party visits the far off continents.

The Devonian and Triassic era maps are interesting choices too. They both look like good maps if you want to put some focus on ships.

The setting that I'm using this for is fantasy.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer

I thought the continents were drifting away still? Can someone explain why they would come back together in the same way?
AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer View Post
I thought the continents were drifting away still? Can someone explain why they would come back together in the same way?
They aren't moving "away from each other", the mid-Atlantic seafloor ridge is pushing the seafloor away from itself along a mostly straight line. Plates get pushed into the mantel along subduction zones.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoTheGurpsPlayer View Post
Start here. Chase the external links, videos and assorted breadcrumbs. Go on a wiki-walk.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Blind Mapmaker

As for using it as a fantasy map you'd probably need to find a decent high-res version of Pangaea Ultima first. I didn't have much luck with google just now, but maybe there are some decent ones out there. If there aren't any maps with a good resolution your best bet would be to trace over existing maps with a vector graphics programme (like Inkscape or Campaign Cartographer) and then blow up the whole thing to a size where you can start adding countries, rivers, cities and the whole shebang.

Try to keep in mind a few basic geographical facts to make the map more believable. The areas east of mountain ranges will be drier, the ones west of them will be wetter. The borders of tectonic plates will have more active volcanoes. Seas enclosed on two sides will be stiller than wide open ones.

I wouldn't worry too much about details. Even the best maps are only predictions and there are competing theories about what is going to happen. You'll note that there are a lot less islands on the future maps than there are on historical ones. Nobody knows the details.

Another thing, super-continents will not necessarily make water travel less important. Huge rivers might traverse these vast expanses and in a low-tech setting going around half the continent on a fast ship might be more practicable than crossing a mere 1000 kilometres through almost trackless country.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, geography, geology, map, maps