Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
SpaceGurper

Default Spaceships Expansions

Most of us don't read the intro to the books and just want to jump right into the design process. I know I did and then I glanced and discovered that Spaceships is the CORE book to the following expansions for more design goodness.

[1] Traders, Liners, and Transports
[2] Warships and Space Pirates
[3] Fighters, Carriers, and Mecha
[4] Exploration and Colony Spacecraft
[5] Mining and Industrial Spacecraft
[6] Strange and Alien Spacecraft
[7] Sentient Spacecraft

Thats 7 more books for design that I can't wait to come out. Because as soon as they do I'll probably need to modify my already desgined goodies from Fighters to Gigantic GATE Stations

Since in my universe only military craft of SM+11 and larger are allowed Jump Drives and FTL Comm/Sensors with exception to certain branches of the Military.

But you know what? I cannot wait until the next expansions comes out for Spaceships. I don't just use GURPS for Role-playing but I use it for world building for writing.

I'd love an update on when they estimate the 1st expansion will be out. They also need to make a book based on Space Stations.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
elustran

Default Re: Spaceships Expansions

Yes.

Must.
Have.
Now.

Mr. Pulver, would you like a little help? Some tea perhaps? A foot rub?
elustran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
SpaceGurper

I think the Mecha Book will be very interesting to have as well. As long as it has some realistic rules to the design. I'm all for Anime Style mecha but I'd like something with realism too.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGurper
Most of us don't read the intro to the books and just want to jump right into the design process. I know I did and then I glanced and discovered that Spaceships is the CORE book to the following expansions for more design goodness.

[1] Traders, Liners, and Transports
[2] Warships and Space Pirates
[4] Exploration and Colony Spacecraft
[5] Mining and Industrial Spacecraft
[6] Strange and Alien Spacecraft
[7] Sentient Spacecraft

Thats 7 more books for design that I can't wait to come out. Because as soon as they do I'll probably need to modify my already desgined goodies from Fighters to Gigantic GATE Stations
I believe I've read somewhere that the expansions will consist mainly of write-ups of ships, with a very low percentage of the page count devoted to rules and options, such as additional modules.

Obviously at least some of the books will need a few new modules, and my guess would be that each book will contain a very few new modules, but I wouldn't be surprised if each PDF, assuming 30 pages each, devotes only 2-3 pages to new modules and to ship design options, with the rest being other kinds of rules and (mainly) writeups of ships (as in worked examples).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Highland_Piper

Thats the one I'm just waiting for! I really need Mecha rules!

I agree with SpaceGurper. I need realism for most of my mech games I want to run, but some Anime would not be bad. I have a player that wants to play Macross (Robotech).

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 03-07-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

[1] and [2] are my main faves, considering 1 is supposed to have rules for allowing PCs to finance ships, and probably any game I run will have the PCs as free traders. And 2 is for the pirates that will try to jump the free traders, as well as the warships that the free-traders will valiantly lead into battle at some point, or perhaps just be stopped and boarded by when carrying contraband.

[3] should be cool for mecha, but as far as carriers and fighters go.. I dunno, so far Spaceships has generally avoided the WWII in space trope as a base assumption, while still allowing people who like that to build ships that function in that way. If the whole book is essentially using that as an underlying assumption, I... well, I'll still buy it, because the Spaceships series is awesome, but I think I would have less use for it than the first two.

[4] and [5] are interesting to me as a way to more accurately model the economics of colonization and production, as I can actually figure out how much a colony ship that can carry x amount of colonists would cost, and how much ore can be mined by how many workers, etc. I don't see PCs typically crewing such ships though(unless in a game where the ship's stats aren't essentially unimportant.)

[6] and [7] are cool/weird things for the PCs to encounter, and as a shoutout to the Ship Who Sings. Definitely looking forward to this.

So essentially, [3] is the only one I don't really NEED, but even then I still want the mecha rules. And [1] and [2] are the ones that I burn for, most importantly [1].

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
AmesJainchill

I can't wait to see what you can do with the Fighters in the Fighters, Carriers and Mecha thing, for a Star Wars game.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
I believe I've read somewhere that the expansions will consist mainly of write-ups of ships, with a very low percentage of the page count devoted to rules and options, such as additional modules.
Not true of the next book (the one about traders). It was probably no more than 1 quarter ship write-ups but had an extensive set of trading rules.

None of the rest have hit playtest yet.

Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Xenophile

I'm not happy, I'm STOKED.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Langy

Wow, this is an old thread.

Anyways, in case people reading this don't know already, Spaceships 2 has already been released. It's got bunches of rules for trading and the like.

Personally, I really want Spaceships 5 and 6 (Industrial Ships and Colony Ships). 3, 4, and 8 (warships, carriers, and sentient ships) don't look bad, either;) Alien ships would be interesting, but not nearly as much as the others.

I wonder when the next Spaceships expansion is going to come out. Here's hoping the answer is soon.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote