Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
Astromancer

Default Re: Blending Star Trek and the World of Darkness (classic)

The Demons have divided by faction, both the Faustians and the Reconcilers chose the Federation. To the extent that the Mages, Hunters, and Changelings, are aware of this, they aren't happy. Although they hope to get these beings to stay out of trouble and leave humanity and other similar groups alone.

The other factions of Demons Cryptics, Luciferians, and, Raveners simply don't care about the local governments. Although the individual Legions of the Luciferians are looking at the possibility of joining up with some other power in order to gain resources of various kinds.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Astromancer

Dataweaver posted a couple of interesting ideas on a version of this thread at Onyx Path (yes I started that one too.)

My take on the Umbra thing is that the inner system (everywhere out to the orbit of Neptune) is an island of stability in the Deep Umbra. Two things here: first, the boundary has been pushed out further than it was in the 21st century (asteroid belt to Kuiper cloud). Second, it's an island of stability. The Vulcan system is another island of stability; the Andorian and Tellarite systems are, too, as are the Klingon and Romulan homeworlds.

More generally, every M-Class world exists in an island of stability. And the denizens of an island of stability aren't subject to Spirit anymore than the denizens of our island of stability are. There are things out there that qualify as Umbrood; but they're more along the lines of the Space Amoeba and its ilk, or beings that have “evolved beyond their physical forms” like the Organians. Nearly all of the “humans in rubber masks” aliens aren't Umbrood, and thus aren't subject to being summoned, commanded, banished, or warded against.

Here's another. Star Trek: the Motion Picture depicts the Computer attempting to “return home” to Earth from Autochthon by way of a Voyager probe. You need to shuffle around Autochthon's location for this to work (relocate it from “counter-Earth” to the Deep Umbra); but otherwise, everything lines up.

I think these are both good posts that I'll want to blend the ideas from into this thread.

Reactions?

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #23
Astromancer

By the way, although most Bygones ( Mythic Beasts/Creatures) are laying low and hiding out as alien fauna, griffins have chosen to announce themselves as an intelligent species and go for Federation membership. At least those griffins friendly with the Order of Hermes have done so.

The griffins associated with the Red Talon werewolves are furious.

This will get messy.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #24
Astromancer

The Mummies have shown up as well, they have memory issues. The Ancient memories are intact, however their modern memories are strictly of the present blended world. This leaves them disoriented. They know something is wrong/missing. Horus hasn't shown up nor any other guiding/organizing force for this society. New Mummies aren't being made either, the "Gods" of Egypt are simply to confused to act.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 10-17-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #25
Astromancer

The Adhene, fay spirits that rejected the Changeling way, often called the Dark Kin, were drawn into the transformations too. The biggest changes are that the Fuath are now changelings as are some of the Aonides (muses) and the Moiræ (fates) other Adhene might also have sliped over into Changelings. Where the Fuath for all their animalistic passion are willing to join the Changeling society, the Aonides and the Moiræ aren't as likely to. And each has powers that can seriously disrupt Federation society.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #26
Astromancer

The Arcanum ( an institution in the WoD that studies the paranormal) exists in this setting in Paris. They are becoming aware of the fact that the world was transformed. They don't have true memories of the time before the transformation. Instead, like most people, they remember an altered version of their past that fits the world they live in. Example: memories of the Vietnam war become memories of the Cardassian war.

If the Arcanum makes a breakthrough, they'll be careful who they tell and look for the culprits.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #27
Astromancer

Along with the Arcanum, other organisations came through as well. Like the Arcanum, they are becoming aware of the transformation.

The US government agency called Project Twilight and many of the conspiracy theorists linked to it are also in this world. They are now a minor office in the Earth government and linked to similar groups from around the Earth. However, as psi phenomena are proven fact in this world, the agency finds most of it's time and resources are spent on investigating possible use of Psi powers in crime.

Although the role of religious faith is greatly reduced in the Star Trek world, faith is still a force in society. Thus the Roman Catholic Church, among many others, is still around. The branch of the Roman Church called The Society of Leopold is still out there and still active. They are less aware of the transformation than either the Arcanum or Project Twilight, but they are beginning to put the pieces together.

Note: Other groups of Religious hunters like the Judges (Jewish and/or Israeli), the Society of Saint George (British and Church of England), and the Eastern Orthodox, Islamic, Hindu, and Buddhist groups alluded to in the book on the Society of Leopold, exist and have different degrees of awareness of the transformation. Note: The Judges were friendly/respectful of the Lions of Zion and may be fully up to date.

If you like or use the Hunter groups in Hunter: the Vigil few of them are all that improper for this setting. They may need minor modifications though. Judge them individually as to how much they know or would care to know.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 01-15-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #28
adm

I assume Project Twilight is now part of, if not the basis of, Section 31?
Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #29
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I assume Project Twilight is now part of, if not the basis of, Section 31?
I love your insight and creativity. It is now. Thanks for a lovely contribution. I know I need help with this. And your help is appreciated.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #30
Astromancer

I'm going to include the Dalou'laoshi in this setting. Basically, I'm revising, the Romulans get the Technocracy. The Cardassians get the Dalou'laoshi.

I'm making this choice because the Dalou'laoshi always struck me as interesting and Cardassian society always reminded me of Chinese Legalism. The two societies are shown as able to work together but bitterly suspicious of each other, so that fits.

As for the Hunters in Demon Hunter X I'm open to suggestions. Clearly Strike Force Zero has affinities to Section 31. The Shih will be harder to place.

Ancora Imparo

Tags
navy, star trek, world of darkness