Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #221
Dargaron

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
On the subject of religion and mind-backups, I don't know enough about religion to give a good answer, and am only commenting so it's clear that I'm not ignoring the discussion - in fact, I'm somewhat interested in how it pans out.
Not much more that I can say on this topic, at least. But on a different note: the initial post says that the PoD for the Clp-Earth is in 1457: Was there any "magic" in Clp-Earth before that? I have some fluff I wrote up, and it seemed to fit Clp-Earth the best, but it rests on there being a low-level of fantastical elements already in place.

In short: an associated twin set of holy orders in Eastern Europe: one for Vampires, one for Werewolves. They emerged in Hungary, but after the Ottomans conquered it (I assume the Ottomans are still powerful in this timeline; the main post didn't mention much about lands farther east than Italy) the Vampires became subsumed by Orthodox Russia, while the Werewolves remained Catholic, and are currently waging a futile off-and-on guerrilla campaign in the rough and tumble parts of Romania against the Ottomans. They are very small orders (about 500 Vampires total, roughly half of them "tamed," the rest unaffiliated with the order and maybe five times as many Werewolves, two-thirds of whom are in the order), and do not have any effect on the history in the grand scheme of things; they're a splash of local color to be interacted with in Eastern Europe on Clp-Earth.

But of course, it's your campaign setting-thing, so I won't post the stuff if it's wildly inappropriate to the established canon.
Dargaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #222
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
Not much more that I can say on this topic, at least. But on a different note: the initial post says that the PoD for the Clp-Earth is in 1457: Was there any "magic" in Clp-Earth before that? I have some fluff I wrote up, and it seemed to fit Clp-Earth the best, but it rests on there being a low-level of fantastical elements already in place.
No, there was nearly nothing magical/fantastic on Clockpunk Earth before the arrival of the comet, it was practically a bog-standard historical echo. At most, there were some obscure people or groups that didn't exist being present, or did exist being absent, or groups having a slightly different composition. The very low/wild mana means that there was very little magic at all, and what little there would have been, if anything, would include nothing as stable as vampires or werewolves. (Think 'very small numbers of minor, strange artifacts or locations, and quite small numbers of people with very odd, but generally rather low-level, abilities' - not enough at any one time or place to form one holy order, much less two.)

Too, bad, as your ideas are interesting.

As for the Ottoman Empire, it's roughly where it was in our history, just with lots of weird stuff added - and I say roughly, because the historical inertia has been fading, so there are some areas that don't quite match, just like other nations - for example, the Knights Hospitaller, as the Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Rhodes, still hold most of the islands that they did in 1500, while the Ottomans extend a little farther into Russia than they did in our history at this time.

You could perhaps have the two orders mentioned, or similar groups, being founded later, or being normal holy orders that later gained strange powers - I do wonder how you'd justify a Christian holy order of werewolves, much less vampires, though. Maybe the 'vampires' have Psychic Vampirism abilities?

Of course, there was a certain Voivode of Wallachia that I've been trying to decide what to do with. His OTL death (or 'death', for those who believe the legend) took place well after the arrival of the comet.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 03-22-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #223
Dargaron

Alright, I've updated my fluff to account for the setting. It's a sidebar in a textbook that *just* came out by a new professor at the University of Novgorod.

Spoiler:  

Originally, the vampires and werewolves had been around since forever, and the means of taming them had been devised by Saints Cyril and Methodius respectively, but lost until 1257, when monks under Bela IV recovered the documents from a monastery sacked by the Mongols. Shifting the date forward meant that everything had to happen faster, but I reasoned that the Ranzano and Marshilio would have focused their efforts on taming new vampires and werewolves, rather than attempting to sway the original ones (three of which have since been killed, two by Hungarian officials, the third by an Ottoman garrison commander). The last original vampire is believed to be hiding out somewhere in Epirus.

Last edited by Dargaron; 03-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #224
warellis

Dargaron, do you mind if I copy and post your stuff onto the thread in Spacebattles? Because it's very interesting. Mostly there, at least recently, we've been discussing stuff like what the spacefighter-gunships each Earth will be using will be like.

Regarding the vampire and werewolf fighting organizations, how were both groups treated by the majority of people in Poland, Hungary, etc.? Even if the King of Hungary and the Catholic Church were able to turn them into useful fighters against the Ottoman Empire, did the peasants see them as protectors as well?

And how come the Ordo Canis Christi is occasionally hiring themselves out to the Ottomans?

Also how did researchers find this information?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #225
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post

You could perhaps have the two orders mentioned, or similar groups, being founded later, or being normal holy orders that later gained strange powers - I do wonder how you'd justify a Christian holy order of werewolves, much less vampires, though. Maybe the 'vampires' have Psychic Vampirism abilities?
Christian werewolves, you say?

Have you looked at the Benandanti?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #226
Dargaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Dargaron, do you mind if I copy and post your stuff onto the thread in Spacebattles? Because it's very interesting. Mostly there, at least recently, we've been discussing stuff like what the spacefighter-gunships each Earth will be using will be like.
Go ahead, unless Prince Charon has an objection.

Quote:
Regarding the vampire and werewolf fighting organizations, how were both groups treated by the majority of people in Poland, Hungary, etc.? Even if the King of Hungary and the Catholic Church were able to turn them into useful fighters against the Ottoman Empire, did the peasants see them as protectors as well?
I am assuming that they would be seen as a more dangerous version of regular nobility. Considering the kinds of rights a landlord had over his serfs, the fact that he can drain your blood is, not moot, but less important. Since there weren't very many of them, and they are usually kept on the frontiers (particularly the werewolves), they wouldn't have had all that much contact with the common folk.

Quote:
And how come the Ordo Canis Christi is occasionally hiring themselves out to the Ottomans?
Because there are only about 1,500 of them, and if the Ottomans actually exerted themselves, they could wipe out the Canis Christi without working up a sweat. The werewolves in Romania are reverting back into a more wild, fight-or-flight mode, being surrounded by either Orthodox "heretics" or "Muslomen" Turks, and without any non-militant types to put the "Monastic" into "Militant Monastic Order." The Polish werewolves are holding up much better (being under the influence of an effective church and state), and would vehemently refuse to fight for the Sublime Porte, and on the most part, wouldn't terrorize peasants just because they're Orthodox.

Quote:
Also how did researchers find this information?
I had thought that there was a certain amount of contact between Inp-Earth and Clp-Earth through various embassies, but now I can't find the actual timeline entry. I was guessing that Professor Petrov put on his charm and asked the envoy from the Clp-Earth Papal States. I tried not to specify when this was written, so that if necessary, it can be shelved until there is actual, reliable contact between Inp- and Clp-Earth.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #227
Prince Charon

Quote:
Alright, I've updated my fluff to account for the setting. It's a sidebar in a textbook that *just* came out by a new professor at the University of Novgorod.
I like it, and it is now canon. I think it should be posted to the fiction thread on SB.com (since you told warellis you were OK with it being crossposted), but if you're not a member of that forum, I can do it.

Most likely, it would be published after the war, to give time for travel and communication - in June, 2013 (which is unfortunately where the timeline is stuck at, now - though hopefully not for much longer), the only communication is by way of the Fa-Earth ambassadors on each other Earth, which doesn't really work for these sort of scientific studies. Mind you, the Clp-Papal States do have a working example of a radiotelegraph, and the Fa-Earth ambassadors have been relaying some information around in trade.

I'll just call it a flash-forward, and say it will have been published in 2020 or so (unless you have a preferred future date), to give time for the war to have ended, interplanetary communication methods to have spread, and perhaps even civilian travel to have been allowed to Clp-Earth (which is likely to be sooner than to the Earth's in 'front' of Inp-Earth, but will still be late in the war, if not after it, due to the bottleneck that is spacelift capacity), as well as time for the actual research to take place and get published.

It's certainly possible for the cunning folk and other magic-users of Clockpunk Earth to develop some variety of interplanetary communication on their own, but it likely won't be as efficient or reliable as radio, or Myrddin's Mirrors. Likewise, it'll take time to develop, just as radiotelegraphy will take time to spread. By the time either reaches the areas that Professor Petrov seems to have been interested in, he could already be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Christian werewolves, you say?

Have you looked at the Benandanti?
I forgot about them, but when I said holy order, I specifically meant official ones, which Dargaron's post has helpfully explained, and which the Benandanti specifically were not. They are, however, interesting, and might be just getting started.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #228
combatmedic
Banned

Sure. The Benandanti, whatever they really were, were not a holy order or otherwise any sort of sanctioned body. Quite the contrary.

But they do offer a starting point for Christian werewolves whooping witch and devil butt.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #229
Dargaron

I don't have an account on SB.com, so it'd probably be best if you posted it.

2020 sounds like a good date, although you're giving out spoilers: now we know that the war ends sometime before 2020 :-).

Is Clp-Earth (largely) open for fluffing? It seemed to be the most narrowly focused of the original four descriptions, and seems like the overall lowest-power world in the setting, lacking the outright magic of Fa-Earth and the weird-tech of Dsp-Earth or Stp-Earth. Although, I bet some Inp-Earth industrialists are dying to get their hands on some Springmetal...
Old 03-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #230
Prince Charon

Quote:
I don't have an account on SB.com, so it'd probably be best if you posted it.

2020 sounds like a good date, although you're giving out spoilers: now we know that the war ends sometime before 2020 :-).
To be specific, the phase of the war where spacelift is a serious bottleneck ends before 2020. Once the Planetary Siege Fortresses get moving...

Quote:
Is Clp-Earth (largely) open for fluffing? It seemed to be the most narrowly focused of the original four descriptions, and seems like the overall lowest-power world in the setting, lacking the outright magic of Fa-Earth and the weird-tech of Dsp-Earth or Stp-Earth. Although, I bet some Inp-Earth industrialists are dying to get their hands on some Springmetal...
In general, yes, Clp-Earth is open to writing fluff - so is the rest of the setting, but Clp-Earth moreso (and springmetal is indeed something that will generate interest). I may have some specific comments or limits, but otherwise, people are free to come up with things, that have a good chance of becoming canon. This'll be easier once I have more of the house rules and other information written and posted, so people have a clearer idea of what they're working with.

I'll try to post your bit to the fiction section tomorrow, as SB.com is being troublesome for me, today.

BTW, do you have a title for the textbook that this is a sidebar of?

On a related note, what do you imagine these werewolves are, in terms of advantages/powers? Actual shapshifters, whether biokinetic, space-warping, or both, are quite unlikely (especially in such huge numbers - though biokinetic shapshifters who don't change that much are certainly possible), but astral projectors like the Benandanti combatmedic mentioned are possible, as are ectoplasmic projectors, unconsciously using psychokinesis and illusions to cover themselves in 'wolf suits', or some other option, like the aforementioned 'limited change biokinetics' (if the bones don't changes, or if they change permanently and very slowly, it's plausible)?

-- Tacitus

Tags
5 earths in a row, alternative earths, infinite worlds