Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
thedanster7000

Default Holy Warrior Contingent Casting

The Holy Might section of the Holy Warrior says
Quote:
You may also buy all of those described for clerics – but where they mention Power Investiture, substitute Holiness.
this potentially includes the cleric's Contingency Casting ability. But the section is prefaced with
Quote:
but not spells
Can Holy Warriors buy Contingency Casting or not?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Holy Warrior Contingent Casting

I think this is an instance where the specific overrules the general. The language "all of those described for clerics" seems quite clear.

Moreover, I don't see any game balance reason why a Holy Warrior can't spend 14 points to gain a single spell per session. It doesn't even really need to be fluffed like a spell... "It's a miracle!"

I can't find an official Holy Warrior (in Delvers to Go or Pyramid) with Contingency Casting, but Sir Pudding's Gilead of Aquerigon has it and nobody squawked.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I think this is an instance where the specific overrules the general. The language "all of those described for clerics" seems quite clear.

Moreover, I don't see any game balance reason why a Holy Warrior can't spend 14 points to gain a single spell per session. It doesn't even really need to be fluffed like a spell... "It's a miracle!"

I can't find an official Holy Warrior (in Delvers to Go or Pyramid) with Contingency Casting, but Sir Pudding's Gilead of Aquerigon has it and nobody squawked.
I could have sworn the Holy Warrior I played in I Smell a Rat at GenCon with Sean used Contingency Casting but I could be mistaken.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

A holy warrior can buy Contingency Casting but not spells. This is why (to quote) "Holy warriors get especially good use out of Contingency Casting." Contingency Casting doesn't mean you get spells on your character sheet . . . it means you have the ability to produce the outcomes of spells.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
ArchonShiva

A Holy Warrior using Contingency Casting can cast one Bless per session, which may then last weeks or months. Pretty good deal for [14].
Old 02-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
A Holy Warrior using Contingency Casting can cast one Bless per session, which may then last weeks or months. Pretty good deal for [14].
Yes, and then the cleric doesn't have to worry about carrying too many spells "On" at once. Sweet.

As GM, though, I might penalize the Contingency Casting roll for a Holy Warrior based on how many Blessings are already ongoing. This is not indicated in the advantage text, but the spell does say "your gods hold you responsible for each blessing!" so there's an argument for some sort of accountability. (Or maybe only 9 of the 10 FP recharge, so he'll be down one.)

I haven't played a Holy Warrior yet, but my Cleric hasn't managed to use Contingency Casting for any useful spells. It's usually for things that satisfy one of his disadvantages or quirks. Last night, he cast Essential Food since he's a bit of a glutton. (But he's weird; he sees the ability, not as spell casting, but as asking local spirits for a favor.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #7
ArchonShiva

The -1 per spell is pretty much unavoidable. CC gives you a skill level. Wizard’s wild talent is even clearer about it.

On the other hand, a case can be made that failure does not extend the ability for the session.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Normal modifiers are meant to apply. For clerical magic, that includes spells "on," sanctity level, and (for Regular spells) distance. IQ + Power Investiture/Holiness is your base skill level.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contingency casting, holy warrior