Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2020, 10:18 PM   #31
kirbwarrior

Default Re: How exactly does Toxic damage work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Actually, Affliction doesn't need to be resistible - though it takes some work to turn that off without resorting to the Cosmic enhancement. Besides if you think about it you really don't want an irresistible curse floating around the game world.
By RAW it does, even Cosmic +300% isn't enough to get rid of it (and that's only 30pts). I think Kromm* brought up that if the victim must be in a situation where they can't do anything (unconscious, completely bound with no possible escape, etc), you can replace the resistance check with that requirement, which actually does fit certain curse builds. And an irresistible curse is only bad if there are zero limitations on use. Even just "only one person at a time" can be plenty. But damage can be fine without limitations on use (look at unarmed combat) and damage that's labelled a 'curse' is just that.

*I wish I could find it, but it's been years since I last saw it and forgot to right it down.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:20 AM   #32
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I think either you or I are misinterpreting what "breaks things down" means. I was under the assumption it meant physical degradation, not mental trauma.
Ah it can be read both ways. I went the mental trauma route because that was what first came to mind.

Regarding physical degradation, here are some starting points per Horror and Powers:

*Leprous Touch (+135%): Affliction 1 (Contact Agent, -30%; Disadvantage, Terminally Ill, Up to two years, +50%; Extended Duration, Permanent, +150%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%) [24].
*Pain (+150%): Affliction 2 (HT-1; Costs Fatigue, 2 FP, -10%; Malediction 1, +100%; No Signature, +20%; Severe Pain, +40%) [50]
*Paralytic Venom (+290%): Affliction 1 (HT; Extended Duration, 300x, +100%; Follow-Up, Teeth or Striker, +0%; Onset, 1 minute, -10%; *Paralysis, +150%; Secondary Coma, +50%) [39]
*Paralyzing Touch (+155%): Affliction 1 (Extended Duration, 3x, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Paralysis, +150%; Selective Effect, +20%) [26].
*Paralyzing Touch (+155%): Affliction 2 (HT-1; Extended Duration, 3x, +20%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Paralysis, +150%; Selective Effect, +20%) [51]
*Sickness (+150%): Affliction 2 (HT-1; Malediction 1, +100%; Nauseated, +30%; No Signature, +20%) [50]
*Strike Blind (+150%): Affliction 2 (HT-1; Disadvantage, Blindness, +50%; Costs Fatigue, 4 FP, -20%; Malediction 1, +100%; No Signature, +20%) [50]

The Affliction (advantage) page on the GURPSwiki has a somewhat ridiculous example list of Afflictions. It's to the point it is easier to ask what can't you do via Affliction rather then what you can do with it.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 04-11-2020 at 05:49 AM.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #33
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Regarding physical degradation, here are some starting points per Horror and Powers:
None of those really represent slow degradation. I do see some instantaneous ones and the always bizarre Terminally Ill (which is similar to a heart attack with a very long onset). That's why I pointed out Dependency and Weakness as ways to do damage over time, but IA with Cyclic already allows that and even comes with a nice curse-y side effect that you can't heal damage done by it until the cycles are done.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote