Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default Magical Hat

Years ago, I played a transient magician character in a modern-day secret/low-magic campaign that had a wondrous magical item: a battered old top hat enchanted with Create Object, Create Animal, and enough Power to allow the production of a 20-pound object for zero energy cost (even in a low-mana environment). I had a lot of fun with that character, and pulled all sorts of interesting things from the hat -- everything from an aluminum extension ladder to a skunk.

These days I run a modern-day secret/low-magic campaign of my own, and have been giving some thought to subjecting one particulary deserving character (a Weirdness Magnet) with a similar item -- with a quirk. The hat will backfire occasionally, generating effects that are (usually) similar to what the PC had in mind, but not quite what he had intended. For example, an attempt to create a rope ladder may instead produce a rather annoyed anaconda, or a desired sword may turn out to be a plastic toy.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this rather than just by "GM fiat"? I'd like to link the chance of backfire to a die roll, with the effects themselves left to my discretion.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Past_

Default Re: Magical Hat

Have the character using the hat roll vs. IQ+Magery, or something similar.

On a success it works as he/she desires, maybe with an bit of something to the item summoned. Maybe the rope ladder looks like its made out of licorice rope, or wants a hammer, gets a toy hammer that works like a real hammer.

On a failure its something annoying but not deadly: Wanted a hammer, gets a toy hammer that squeaks really loudly, or squirts water back into the characters eyes.

On a critical failure its something not deadly, but...painfull : Wanted a hammer but gets a hammer +5 vs the users thumbs.........

Of course these are a bit silly ideas, but just examples I could pull out of a....hat
Past_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
hjo3

Reminds me of Presto's green wizard's hat from the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Only he had to say a little rhyme to get it to work.
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:41 AM   #4
scimon

Well either A) wait until magic comes out by it as an item. B) Buy snatcher with a gadget limitation, you're basically pulling stuff from an alternate dimension that's in your hat.
MIB #0366. Scotland.
scimon is offline   Reply With Quote