Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Ghost Variations [Horror]

I am curious about the possible ghost variations that people have developed for their games. In order to get things started, I will post one of mine.

Spectral Observer [167]

A spectral observer is a sapient impression of a dead sapient being that lingers in the physical world in immaterial form. Unable to impact the physical world, magicians often community with them to gain access to their memories or their ability to spy on the physical world. On occasion, magicians will gain their servitude by using RPM to grant them a temporary body, allowing them to live again.

Attribute Modifiers: ST -10 [-100]

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP+10 [20]

Advantages: Astral Entity (add Affects Machines (+50%) to Invisibility) [191]; Lifting ST+10 (Insubstantial Only, -30%) [21]; Striking ST+10 (Insubstantial Only, -30%) [35]

Features: Fixed ST [0] (higher ST comes from buying up HP, Lifting ST, and Striking ST).

Notes: RPM practitioners use Path of Spirit to influence Spectral Observers, not Path of Undead, as they are impressions rather than souls. Giving them a body is a Greater Destroy Spirit effect that removes their template (temporarily removing 167 CP of advantages). In effect, they become human, gaining the associated benefits and penalties.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Ghost Variations [Horror]

While mechanically/Doylistly, Greater Destroy Spirit makes sense, philosophically/Watsonianly it really, really doesn't, IMHO, and Greater Create Body would work far better.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Not really, as they cannot effect a created body. You would need Greater Transform Spirit and Greater Transform Body to transform the spirit into a human. Greater Destroy Spirit merely destroys the advantageous state of the spirit.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #4
David Johnston2

The ghost variation I used was that the "haunted" house was a "thin" spot in time. The ghosts were dimly seen people in the past and in the course of their investigation the characters end up in the past with them, and have to prevent the event that created the thin spot. Suddenly they find themselves back in the present in a house that is now occupied and in good repair because it never acquired a reputation for being haunted. Their boss is wondering where the hell they are, because he never sent them there and they should be in a totally different city.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
dataweaver

Destroy Spirit really doesn't work. If anything, I'd go with Transform Spirit to Body.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:33 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I do not know, how else do you get rid of an advantage on a Spirit?
Old 03-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Astromancer

Try this one....

In the 16th and 17th centuries, it was common among clerical circles to say there was no such thing as ghosts. They didn't say their parishioners were loopy, they said evil spirits, in fact devil's, impersonated ghosts to lure humans into sun especially murder and suicide. There are multiple interpretations of Hamlet that say the Ghost is a demon tempting Hamlet to murder and suicide.

Having a demon or a malicious fay take the form of the ghost of someone wronged and let them "warn" the party against the one who "murdered" them. Even have the "ghost" be clever enough to warn against revenge, so that the ghost seems to be more plausible because they aren't trying to get the PCs to do something. The mistrust and animosity should lead to trouble quick enough.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do not know, how else do you get rid of an advantage on a Spirit?
Well, given:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM7
Greater Create Body can generate a vessel for any spirit (even one that can’t materialize)
Turning a spirit into a person most likely involves Create Body. Maybe Control Spirit to force it to possess the body.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one....

In the 16th and 17th centuries, it was common among clerical circles to say there was no such thing as ghosts. They didn't say their parishioners were loopy, they said evil spirits, in fact devil's, impersonated ghosts to lure humans into sun especially murder and suicide. .
That's not far off from what ghosts are in Dragon Age. Dragon Age is filled with spirits made out of things like anger and fear and they'll haunt places of great violence and take on the form of the humans who killed and died there to reenact the events and feed on the residue. Actual human souls don't hang around.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, given:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM7
Greater Create Body can generate a vessel for any spirit (even one that can’t materialize)
Turning a spirit into a person most likely involves Create Body. Maybe Control Spirit to force it to possess the body.
TGLS beat me to it. It's right there in black and white.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote