Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Cheomesh

Default Character: Rowan of Cheshamptshire!

I am of the opinion that there aren't enough characters being shared about.

Anyways, here's one I made for a game I will be playing in.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=523859

Two house rules, taken from Rev. P Kitty's site: Arm Str is worth 4 points for both arms, AND Combat/Art/Sport are techniques off of whichever you selected as your "Main Skill".

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: Character: Rowan of Cheshamptshire!

Any chance that you can find the points to boost DX by 1 while dropping DX-based skill levels by 1 level? You're pretty close to the break-even point for boosting DX vs. points in DX-based skills.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Railstar

Your character seems like a generally good-natured fellow, perhaps give him another "Good" disadvantage like Cannot Harm Innocents or Sense of Duty or something similar?

Since the tumble with the merchant's daughter got him into trouble, something like quirk-level Lecherousness (Lustful?) might be appropriate. Also possibly low level of Enemy or Secret from that, or maybe even a small Social Stigma for his arrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Any chance that you can find the points to boost DX by 1 while dropping DX-based skill levels by 1 level? You're pretty close to the break-even point for boosting DX vs. points in DX-based skills.
Half of those DX-based skills cannot be dropped without losing other benefits; the bonus damage from Brawling, the bonus grappling ST from Wrestling, or the increased ST bonus the Strongbow perk gives him from Bow.

Another thing is his access to new perks from Style Familiarity is based on the number of points he has in skills from that style.

On the other hand, if he took +1 DX [20] he could pay half the price off with -0.5 Basic Speed [-10] and still have Move 5.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Cheomesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Your character seems like a generally good-natured fellow, perhaps give him another "Good" disadvantage like Cannot Harm Innocents or Sense of Duty or something similar?
Ah! Not thought of that. I had considered something like post combat shakes or maybe even reluctant killer, but I figured training would have worked that out in some way. Not being able to harm innocents, however, makes sense. That's something like -5 or -10? IDHMBWM.

Quote:
Since the tumble with the merchant's daughter got him into trouble, something like quirk-level Lecherousness (Lustful?) might be appropriate. Also possibly low level of Enemy or Secret from that, or maybe even a small Social Stigma for his arrest?
I'd thought about Lechery, but the lady in question was an exception rather than the rule to his behavior (initially he was closer to the quiet church going type - still not sure how to represent "Religious Guy" in disads/advs, though, if I even need to). I considered a Quirk Vow to get back at the matron of the daughter, whom he assumes has betrayed him to the girl's father, in spite of his payment/bribe/hush money. Social stigma, too. However, I'm trapped on an island full of criminals (like colonial Australia, but smaller) so the "Reference Society" isn't going to stigma me much for my crimes.

Quote:
Half of those DX-based skills cannot be dropped without losing other benefits; the bonus damage from Brawling, the bonus grappling ST from Wrestling, or the increased ST bonus the Strongbow perk gives him from Bow.
This is true. I don't know what this "break point" is about, though. I have a theory that your average guy doesn't have high points in things even though he's professional. My skills, I think, are pushing me into above average for a common archer.

Quote:
Another thing is his access to new perks from Style Familiarity is based on the number of points he has in skills from that style.
I will admit I had to read that section a bunch. I still have one Combat perk I can access, though I haven't spent it. I'm not sure how many non-combat perks I am allowed; I think somewhere one of the books suggested a max of 5 perks, but I'm not sure if that's in addition to the combat perks that combat skills and styles give me or what.

Quote:
On the other hand, if he took +1 DX [20] he could pay half the price off with -0.5 Basic Speed [-10] and still have Move 5.
This is true; combined with the first disadvantage I may just break even.

Thanks for the feed back! Character-based stuff's always fun. Surprised we don't do it more.

M.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
Ah! Not thought of that. I had considered something like post combat shakes or maybe even reluctant killer, but I figured training would have worked that out in some way. Not being able to harm innocents, however, makes sense. That's something like -5 or -10? IDHMBWM.

I'd thought about Lechery, but the lady in question was an exception rather than the rule to his behavior (initially he was closer to the quiet church going type - still not sure how to represent "Religious Guy" in disads/advs, though, if I even need to). I considered a Quirk Vow to get back at the matron of the daughter, whom he assumes has betrayed him to the girl's father, in spite of his payment/bribe/hush money. Social stigma, too. However, I'm trapped on an island full of criminals (like colonial Australia, but smaller) so the "Reference Society" isn't going to stigma me much for my crimes.

This is true. I don't know what this "break point" is about, though. I have a theory that your average guy doesn't have high points in things even though he's professional. My skills, I think, are pushing me into above average for a common archer.

I will admit I had to read that section a bunch. I still have one Combat perk I can access, though I haven't spent it. I'm not sure how many non-combat perks I am allowed; I think somewhere one of the books suggested a max of 5 perks, but I'm not sure if that's in addition to the combat perks that combat skills and styles give me or what.

This is true; combined with the first disadvantage I may just break even.

Thanks for the feed back! Character-based stuff's always fun. Surprised we don't do it more.

M.
Pacifism: Cannot Harm Innocents is worth [-10] it means no killing people who are not trying to kill him or anyone else, and not intentionally doing anything that even puts the uninvolved at risk (so no setting fire to buildings that might have civilians in, which is more inconvenient than one might think :P ).

Sense of Duty: close friends/family is worth [-5] and requires little more than not backstabbing the people close to him, and I assume Rowan is a fairly loyal friend.

I think the quirks you gave him already reflect his religious beliefs extremely well. You could add Devout Believer quirk, although his dislike of the unfaithful and his voluntary tithes are already enough to give the image of a pious man, and you might prefer another quirk instead. Generally religion-based disadvantages (Vows, Disciplines of Faith or Fanaticism) tend to reflect religion as a driving force behind a person’s life. I at least assume they would not be necessary for Rowan.

I think there is no limit on Perks in general; they are just 1 point advantages. Some perks just require Unusual Background or Special Exercises. Another benefit from Style Familiarity is it actually includes a 1 point Claim To Hospitality with a school or group.

Checking out the GURPS Rulebook, skills used to earn a living tend to be at around 12 or 13. At skill level 14 he starts to seem like an expert, but I would not worry about it, particularly if you increase his DX.

I hope that helps!
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Cheomesh

It did indeed; the original link is now edited to reflect these changes.

One thing that I feel gets overlooked is disadvantages for innate inhibitions. Someone who doesn't have Cannot Harm Innocents to some degree is basically a psychopath!

I have done a few basic things and noticed that, from what I can glean, the modern "Average" guy is actually pretty close to 0 or even negative points. Though, perhaps I was being a bit too hard.

M.