Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Cheomesh

Default Loosing Arrows

Searching turned up nothing :(

Let me make sure I've got this right, as it's been a while since I've used bows in GURPS and I haven't found it in the book spelled out.

Turn 1: Ready Arrow (Free if you do a fast draw roll)
Turn 2: Knock Arrow (Step 1 of 2 in Bow's SHOTS stat)
Turn 3: Draw Arrow (Step 2 of 2 in Bow's SHOTS stat)
Turn 4: Aim (Optional)
Turn 5: Loose (Using Attack, All Out Attack, etc)

So it will take between 3 and 5 seconds to loose a shot (completely realistic). Is this RAW? I seem to remember it as such.

And is there any special ways (extra effort, etc) somewhere that'll reduce any of those steps if I really wanted to rain it on them?

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Loosing Arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
Searching turned up nothing :(

Let me make sure I've got this right, as it's been a while since I've used bows in GURPS and I haven't found it in the book spelled out.

NOCK. Not Knock.

Or, if you're using Dual-Weapon Attack, you can tell jokes.

Spoiler:  

Quote:
Pretty sure that nocking an arrow and readying/drawing the bow are one move. Ready Arrow, Ready Bow, Shoot (unless you aim).

Quote:

So it will take between 3 and 5 seconds to loose a shot (completely realistic). Is this RAW? I seem to remember it as such.

And is there any special ways (extra effort, etc) somewhere that'll reduce any of those steps if I really wanted to rain it on them?

M.
I discuss this a bit on my blog, but the way to get fast is:

Fast-Draw Arrow (Ready Arrow in zero time).
Quick-Shoot Bow: Ready bow by making a Bow-6 roll, then attack with another Bow-6 roll. I do not think this is technically Rapid Strike, though it's clearly modeled after it. This is in Martial Arts.

You may Aim for 1, 2, or 3 turns.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 03-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Quick-Shoot Bow: Ready bow by making a Bow-6 roll, then attack with another Bow-6 roll. I do not think this is technically Rapid Strike, though it's clearly modeled after it. This is in Martial Arts.
here's the relevent quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martial Arts p.119-200
An archer who has already drawn an arrow can try to ready and shoot his bow in one smooth motion. This requires an Attack or All-Out Attack (Determined) maneuver – a Heroic Archer (p. 45) may instead choose Move and Attack – and calls for two Bow rolls at -6. If the bowman has the Heroic Archer advantage or a form of Weapon Master (pp. 48-49) that encompasses bows, halve the penalty to -3. If he has both, he’s at only -1! For anyone, All-Out Attack (Determined) adds +1 to both rolls.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Draw Arrow then Ready it and like Douglas I think Nocking an arrow is part of readying it. Regardless you have to draw it before you can nock it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Like other weapons, the reload time for a bow covers the full reload from accessibly-stowed ammunition. Fast-Draw for the ammo reduces the listed time, it isn't required to be able to achieve it.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Cheomesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Like other weapons, the reload time for a bow covers the full reload from accessibly-stowed ammunition. Fast-Draw for the ammo reduces the listed time, it isn't required to be able to achieve it.
So 1 of 2 is Draw Arrow, 2 of 2 is Nock and Draw Back Arrow?

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Readying Weapons And Other Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by B382
Reloading a weapon. This requires several consecutive Ready maneuvers. The number of Ready maneuvers required appears in parentheses after the weapon’s Shots statistic. For example, a longbow requires two Ready maneuvers: one to ready the arrow by removing it from your quiver, and one to ready the bow by placing the arrow to the string and drawing it. That takes two turns. On the third turn, you can Aim or Attack
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
So 1 of 2 is Draw Arrow, 2 of 2 is Nock and Draw Back Arrow?

M.
It is two Ready maneuvers. Fast Draw reduces this by one. There isn't a "Nock" or "Draw" maneuver. If it matters descriptively what's happening then most of it is probably happening in the second second, since drawing the arrow is in the first second, but it's not like it's really a discrete one second action followed by a second one second action.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

You may be mixed up if you read the Deadly Spring article which does slow things down with more actions required to fire a bow.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

1. Draw an arrow. This normally takes a Ready Maneuver. This maneuver can be skipped with successful Fast-draw (arrow) skill roll.
  2. Nock an arrow and draw the bow. This normally takes a single Ready Maneuver. This maneuver can be replace with an Attack or All-Out Attack (Determined) Maneuver with a Bow-6 roll for Quick-shooting.
  3. Loose the arrow. This normally takes a separate maneuver of any Attack type, Using the Bow skill. However if can be the same maneuver as step 2 if Bow-6 was successful however this means a second Bow-6 roll to attack if so.

Both Bow-6 rolls can be reduced to Bow-3 by having either Weapon Master(Bow) or Heroic Archer, or Bow-1 with both.

Following those three steps. it can at worse take 2 Ready plus 1 Attack Maneuvers to attack or 1 Ready and one Attack Maneuver with a successful Fast-Draw. or only 1 Attack Maneuver of limited choice, with a successful Fast-Drawn and two penalizes Bow skills rolls.

Last edited by roguebfl; 03-03-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Fire to loose
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote