Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 PM   #1
rkbrown419

Default Parent/child relations in a template

Is there a way to save parent child relationships between advantages into a template so that when the template is loaded a desired relationship will be shown in the advantage list? I'm using the Phoenix sheet if that makes a difference.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Parent/child relations in a template

The parent trait can use parentof() to specify traits that should be children of it. This will require that the parent trait either be a new advantage or is designed using the creates() tag in a larger template.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
rkbrown419

I'm clearly doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. I created this parent advantage,
Code:
Astral Projection, 0,tl(),usernotes(),familiarities(),description(), cat(Exotic,Paranormal), parentof(AD:Insubstantiality, AD:Warp, AD:Invisibility (electromagnetic))
but it only works if the advantages are added to the template by creates and doesn't if I use adds and it counts the costs of the advantages twice once by itself and again as part of the parent item. What am I doing wrong?
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

The issue has to do with what order traits are added in. In a trait (a template, here) the creates() tag is processed first, then the adds() tag, then the parentof() tag. The problem is that the template adds the parent item using the creates() tag, and at that time the items in the adds() tag have not yet been processed, so they are not present. They need to be added as part of the parent item; that is, they need to be in the parent items adds() or creates() tags.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Alternatively, if you have it already working one way, the childof() tag does the inverse of parentof(), and has an item make itself a child of an existing trait.

Honestly, I don't know if parent/child will work (points-wise and organizationally) correctly inside an owner/component (what templates do) structure.

You may be better served to make a mini-template of your desired parent/child, and add that template from the owning template.

Last edited by Armin; 04-07-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote