Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Rurouni_Bill

Default Newbie questions about magic in combat

Hi all,

Sorry for the neophyte questions, but I'm looking through the combat chapter and the magic chapter and I just want clarification on something.

If someone throw a missile combat spell at a target, the target has all defense options open to them, correct? I wasn't sure if the missile spell qualified as a firearm as far as 'not being able to parry' goes, or if there is any kind of a penalty (like -2 for parrying thrown weapons). Would parrying a lightning bolt still hurt?

Also, if a spell like 'explosive fireball' is cast so that it lands behind a target, does that count as an attack from behind (no defense) as that is where the blast would be coming from, or is that a run-around attack or just standard defense situation? Could you technically parry an explosive fireball?

Sorry, I'm coming from a largely d20 background. In my mind, fireball still does 5d6 damage over huge area. ;)
Rurouni_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Newbie questions about magic in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Bill View Post
If someone throw a missile combat spell at a target, the target has all defense options open to them, correct? I wasn't sure if the missile spell qualified as a firearm as far as 'not being able to parry' goes, or if there is any kind of a penalty (like -2 for parrying thrown weapons). Would parrying a lightning bolt still hurt?
I'd use the parrying thrown weapon rules.

Quote:
Also, if a spell like 'explosive fireball' is cast so that it lands behind a target, does that count as an attack from behind (no defense) as that is where the blast would be coming from, or is that a run-around attack or just standard defense situation? Could you technically parry an explosive fireball?
You'd get to defend if you can see it coming. I'd say standard defense, but don't forget that explosions can only be defended against via dodge and drop. I'd let you parry an explosive fireball, but you're basically ensuring that it detonates right in front of you. Probably a bad idea, but if there's something behind you that you're worried might get hit instead I suppose it'd be an option.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Rurouni_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I'd use the parrying thrown weapon rules.

Ok, thanks.

You'd get to defend if you can see it coming. I'd say standard defense, but don't forget that explosions can only be defended against via dodge and drop. I'd let you parry an explosive fireball, but you're basically ensuring that it detonates right in front of you. Probably a bad idea, but if there's something behind you that you're worried might get hit instead I suppose it'd be an option.
I wasn't sure. the spell is still technically classified as 'missile' despite having an area effect, so I wasn't sure if it qualified as an explosion in that sense. Plus if someone deliberately aimed it behind the target it a bit, it's possible the target couldn't parry it due to reach issues. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
I wasn't sure. the spell is still technically classified as 'missile' despite having an area effect, so I wasn't sure if it qualified as an explosion in that sense. Plus if someone deliberately aimed it behind the target it a bit, it's possible the target couldn't parry it due to reach issues. Thanks for the help.
The nice thing about GURPS is that it's pretty much based in the real world. Instead of asking yourself what the game mechanics say, ask yourself what would happen if you whacked a contact detonated ball of fire with your sword. Most of the time the rules will agree with your real-world guess. And if there aren't any rules, well, since everything else is based on "what would really happen" your house-rules tend to fit in seamlessly too.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Rurouni_Bill

awesome. Thanks again. Now to break my players of their munchkin-like power gaming so they'll just shut up and deal with my decisions. ;)
Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
mlangsdorf

Normally, you can't parry missile spells: "Your target may block or dodge, but
cannot parry (Parry Missile Weapons skill may work on some Missile spells, at the GM’s discretion). If he fails, the spell affects him." Magic P12.

If an area effect spell is targeted at an inanimate object, people in the area generally don't get an Active Defense except for possibly a Dodge and Drop to move them further away from the area of effect.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote