Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #21
Plane

Default Re: Error in Fantasy werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic here because the Advantage is described as "You do not require food, water, or fuel. Your body is powered in some other manner: solar power, ambient magical energy, etc" (Basic Set pg 50)
I tend to forget about that part (it's happened before). The followup "A sufficiently rare energy source might qualify you for Dependency" seems to imply if you do that, you wouldn't have to worry about specifying solar / magic / other manner.

Quote:
That is not how those disadvantages work. The Penanggalen has Horrific Appearance but since it tends to be a living witch during the day No Body Heat and Pallor do not apply to it, for example.
What are your thoughts on why only Intact has Pallor and the others don't?

What we're talking about collectively here is -2 to reaction +2 to deduce secret.

Horrific (B21) is -6 to reactions, which is why I figure 'pallor' (bloodless skin, sunken eyes) or some more dramatic version of that is just assumed to be part of that. After all, all 4 types have "no blood".

Skeletons don't even HAVE eyes. Apparently mummies do, weirdly, even though I'm pretty sure those traditionally got taken out in the mummification process.

Skeletons don't have skin either, while mummies should but it would be dried/bloodless where it's visible outside of wrappings.

NBH is the oddity here though because unlike Horrific/Pallor it is touch-based rather than sight-based so it wouldn't necessarily make sense to assume that was folded into Horrific.

H27 adds "No Pulse" to Intact Undead too, which presumably applies to the other 3 as well. That too is touch-based though, not sight-based.

Those factors aren't going to matter to people who can see you (they don't need to feel your pulse or temperature to find out you're dead) but it would matter in darkness or to the blind.

Quote:
Actually it has been shown that if one is around a bad smell long enough the nose resecpters simply "shut off" and you stop noticing the horrid smell.
In GURPS terms would that be spending earned character points to earn "Protected Sense: Smell" (+5) to resist scent-based Afflictions?

Quote:
The trigger is simple decomposition - depending on the environment this process can take mere days while others form adipocere delaying their transition for months and in some cases hundreds of years.
Any thoughts on how to crunch it? I figure since temperature influences decomp adapting the hypothermia/dehydration rules somehow?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
0What are your thoughts on why only Intact has Pallor and the others don't?
Pallor is a weird one as in some of the black and which pictures of FDR at Yalta he looks like he's got pallor.

Quote:
Horrific (B21) is -6 to reactions, which is why I figure 'pallor' (bloodless skin, sunken eyes) or some more dramatic version of that is just assumed to be part of that. After all, all 4 types have "no blood".
Very human robots have "no blood" as well and while they go into the Uncanny Valley they certainly are not Horrific in appearance.

Quote:
Skeletons don't even HAVE eyes. Apparently mummies do, weirdly, even though I'm pretty sure those traditionally got taken out in the mummification process.
No they don't
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #23
Plane

Quote:
Very human robots have "no blood" as well and while they go into the Uncanny Valley they certainly are not Horrific in appearance.
Human robots could have things to emulate pallor even if the avoidance of "bloodless" look isn't from actual blood.

I don't get that sense from the other three. I mean even if we tried some kind of "you can't tell I'm pale because I'm covered in bandages" for mummy or "I have a natural healthy glow from the bacteria pulsating beneath my flesh" for rotting, I can't really rationalize it for skeletons.

Quote:
I stand corrected! https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/419512 mentions they find eyes 93% of the time in mummies.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #24
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Human robots could have things to emulate pallor even if the avoidance of "bloodless" look isn't from actual blood.

I don't get that sense from the other three. I mean even if we tried some kind of "you can't tell I'm pale because I'm covered in bandages" for mummy or "I have a natural healthy glow from the bacteria pulsating beneath my flesh" for rotting, I can't really rationalize it for skeletons.
Actually most mummies aren't "pale" by any stretch of the imagination. One only have to look at the actual mummies of Ramses II, Seti I, and Tutankhamun who vary from a dark gray to pitch black to see this. The issue is were they dark skinned to being with or was this a byproduct of the embalming process? Based on the tomb paintings the Egyptians tended to have a dark olive skin tone and they clearly operated themselves from the very dark skinned Nubians and depicted the Libyans and Asiatics as if they were from Norway (ie very very white)

That said there are pale mummies such as the Qilakitsoq mummy but the color of your mummy (insert bad pun here) seems to depend on the process more then anything else.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 03-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #25
Plane

I guess the general idea is that simply looking pale/bloodless may not even need to be a supernatural feature, it seems normal enough that it could just be part of Appearance.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #26
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Was it ever explained why alternate form is only a 10% discount (after a 15-pt unusual background for each new form), whereas alternate abilities are 80% discounts?

It just seems to me that it's so much cheaper to have summonable allies, than to be able to change form. (E.g., summon a wolf based on 25% of your CP total, vs turning into a wolf yourself.)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #27
Anders

You don't get to control your Allies. The GM does.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Was it ever explained why alternate form is only a 10% discount (after a 15-pt unusual background for each new form), whereas alternate abilities are 80% discounts?
Crippling one crippling all is the only thing I can think of.

Quote:
It just seems to me that it's so much cheaper to have summonable allies, than to be able to change form. (E.g., summon a wolf based on 25% of your CP total, vs turning into a wolf yourself.)
I figure that's because allies/gear are made for GMs to kill/destroy for dramatic purposes, whereas points you spend on yourself enjoy some plot safety if the GM doesn't want to be known as a player-killer.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
maximara
On Notice

Quote:

Uh none of that is right.

It's 15 adjusted for enhancements and limitations +0.9 * the alternative base racial-base racial) There is an example of how this works on the GURPSwiki. Yes, the cost of the exact same Alternate Form changes based on the racial cost.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
Anders

My guess would be that the cost of Alternate Form is [15] for an Alternate Identity + a meta-trait with the -10% accessibility limitation: Only while in alternate form. It has nothing to do with Alternate Abilities, except for the similarity in names (and of course, Alternate Form can be an Alternate Ability).