Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Donny Brook

Default Cost of clothing in Low-Tech Loadouts

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I am looking through Loadouts: Low-tech Armor and I am struck by how costly the regular clothing items listed tend to be. How is it that a regular pair of trousers or a basic tunic can be in the hundreds of dollars?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Cost of clothing in Low-Tech Loadouts

Status. See p. 3:

Quote:
Many of these loadouts assume that the fighter has a “knightly” social status and so the price of his clothing is calculated using the cost of living of someone with at least Status 2.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post

I am looking through Loadouts: Low-tech Armor and I am struck by how costly the regular clothing items listed tend to be. How is it that a regular pair of trousers or a basic tunic can be in the hundreds of dollars?
Clothes used to be very expensive. Most people would wear patched hand-me-downs.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
The Colonel

The Hodges list:
http://web.archive.org/web/201106282...ces.html#CLOTH AND CLOTHING

Gives some indicative prices - compare to the wages at the bottom to see that even the "landless serf's tunics" cited are priced at a day's pay or so...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
whswhs

From the history I've read, it sounds as if the cost of clothing used to be really high. Before the spinning wheel was invented, it took five months to spin enough fiber for one suit of adult cloths, and another month to weave the yarn into fabric. After that, the fabric was cut in ways that minimized wastage (it was expensive!) and that limited the cuts of clothing. So figure an ordinary household could provide one new outfit for each adult member per year, at best. This improved with the invention of the spinning wheel, which could produce the same amount of fiber in one month—but it was still not cheap.

Look at the literature of the period. You see even noblewomen spending a lot of their time spinning and weaving, from the ancient world up to Sleeping Beauty. That wasn't recreation; it was economic necessity.

Megan McArdle had a column a few years ago where she pointed out how few clothes people owned between the World Wars. And that was with the aid of industrial technology!

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
Anders

There's a Swedish proverb for something really expensive: "It will cost you your shirt."
Old 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Agemegos

Quote:

Before the Industrial Revolution thread and cloth required so much labour to make that they were were eye-wateringly costly. Look over any brief history of industrialisation and see how many of the transformative breakthroughs involved ginning, scouring, carding, spinning, weaving, and fulling. Then there is making: before the invention of the third-world sweatshop it was common for a working man to own only one or two pairs of trousers. Sunday Best was a luxury.

Nowadays we are used to a price for clothes in relation to wages that is, historically speaking, fantastically cheap

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Status. See p. 3:
Well, that is a truly regrettable design choice.
Firstly, there is not a clear indication which loadouts are subject to this premium. Also for some reason it doesn't seem to have been applied to footwear. Finally, it yields some inconsistent results. For example, Qin cavalry and charioteers have statistically equivalent tunics, but one costs $98 and the other $468, but their statistically identical helmets have the same price to each other.

P.S. To posters who have replied referencing historical clothing production, I apologize for not being clear that my question relates to the internal economics of GURPS rules.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 02-14-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
Agemegos

Quote:
P.S. To posters who have replied referencing historical clothing production, I apologize for not being clear that my question relates to the internal economics of GURPS rules.
The internal economics of GURPS rules stink on ice. The thing with wealth, income, TL, status, cost-of-living, adventure gear, settled lifestyles, and rank affecting status is a thorny tangle, and the decision to have relative prices unaffected by technological change is an irrecoverable disaster.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:54 AM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Sunday Best was a luxury.
My understanding is that 'Sunday best' generally meant your newest set of clothes. They weren't of a different, more formal style, just newer. If you were well-off you might have enough sets that your 'best' was only used for church and a few other important functions until your worst set wore out and you got a new 'best' and your old 'best' just became your least worn day-to-day clothes. Everyone else, well they just hoped nothing horrible happened to their better set of clothes.

One reason for the shift from linen to cotton was that mechanising the harvesting and processing of cotton proved much easier than doing the same to linen.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote