Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #111
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Hex & Chit Scaling

Could someone from SJ Games, tell us if the hexes in Melee & Wizard are 25 mm (1 inch) hexes?

The physical components that I am most interested in are the counters and if they are for 32 mm hexes, I'm just going to buy the soft cover book on kick starter.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM   #112
tbeard1999

I ran some tests and found, not surprisingly that the size of the counters drives the size of the hexes.

1.5 inch hexes comfortably accommodate 1 inch square counters/bases but are way too large for 1" round bases.

1.25 inch hexes will accommodate 7/8 inch square counters but would be very tight. 0.8 inch counters are perfect. 1" round bases fit perfectly.

1 inch hexes will barely accommodate 3/4 inch square counters, but it's really too tight. 0.7 inch square counters fit better.

The problem, of course, is that 1.5 inch hexes are MUCH larger than 1 inch hexes. A 1.5 inch hex map will take up 2.25 times the amount of table space as a 1 inch hex map. A 1.25 inch hex map will take up 1.56 times the table space as a 1 inch map.

I think I'll settle on 1.25 inch hexes, since I don't use counters.

For transportability or big battles, I'd recommend 1 inch hexes and .7 inch square counters.

Fortunately modern printing technology allows you to print out a 24"x36" sheet for about $4.50 and have it laminated for another $4.50.

I have posted a number of megahex maps with 1", 1.25" and 1.5" hexes at http://texaswargamer.com/tft204/?page_id=263 Right now there are maps with grey stone, sand stone and no backgrounds with center dots and without center dots.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #113
malchidael

Nice maps Ty - thanks for sharing!

Here's another 24x36 map, 1.5" hexes, tan with brown lines and dots.

I included the partial megahexes around the edges - yours look a lot cleaner.

I'm having this printed and laminated at an online company - for significantly more than $9. I'll have to hunt around to find a place offering it for a more affordable price; I'd like to have several. I'd appreciate hints :)

I decided to go with 1.5" hexes for my TFT gaming, since it allowed me to rebase my large collection of 2" circular-based plastic minis with either a 3-hex or 4-hex base. The 3-hex adapter already has to have cutouts along the sides so the mini will fit; going to smaller hexes would make that more challenging.

My small collection of older Grenadier/Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals miniatures argues with me about that decision sometimes.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #114
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by malchidael View Post
Nice maps Ty - thanks for sharing!

Here's another 24x36 map, 1.5" hexes, tan with brown lines and dots.

I included the partial megahexes around the edges - yours look a lot cleaner.

I'm having this printed and laminated at an online company - for significantly more than $9. I'll have to hunt around to find a place offering it for a more affordable price; I'd like to have several. I'd appreciate hints :)

I decided to go with 1.5" hexes for my TFT gaming, since it allowed me to rebase my large collection of 2" circular-based plastic minis with either a 3-hex or 4-hex base. The 3-hex adapter already has to have cutouts along the sides so the mini will fit; going to smaller hexes would make that more challenging.

My small collection of older Grenadier/Ral Partha/Iron Wind Metals miniatures argues with me about that decision sometimes.
Thanks for the kind words. Google “Office Max Blueprints”. They’re very reasonable and as I noted they’ll laminate the maps for you as well.

I use the Pathfinder Pawns (cardboard heroes), which have 1” round bases for normal sized creatures. A 1.25” hex is perfect for that.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #115
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Google “Office Max Blueprints”. They’re very reasonable and as I noted they’ll laminate the maps for you as well.

I use the Pathfinder Pawns (cardboard heroes), which have 1” round bases for normal sized creatures. A 1.25” hex is perfect for that.
Thanks for the heads-up - I was looking at poster printing at various places, not blueprint printing. Awesome!

I created a set of TFT adapters for PathFinder Pawns for my 3D printer. They are for 1.5" hexes, though. I put them on Thingiverse, in case they are useful to anyone.

If you have access to a 3D printer, and are interested, I could probably create a set that work on 1.25" hexes. Large figures would be a bit tight on the 3-hex base, but it should work.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #116
the1weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I can put my old counters on larger hexes. They may look a little small, but it will be all right. #firstworldproblem
I have to give you a thumbs up on this one.
the1weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #117
Skarg

You can put original-sized one-hex counters on bigger maps, but bigger maps take up more table space per number of hexes, and I can't use the new larger counters on all my original-sized maps, or my GURPS maps.

(I'm planning to use the PDFs to make original-sized versions of the new counters.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #118
the1weasel

I like the idea of having the option to use either sizes. I see the use case for the smaller hexes and tokens for quick skirmish, or games where you have minimal space, or want to demonstrate how streamlined TFT can function with just a bit of this and that.

I also like the idea of using the larger scale for big Con games or at home where you’ve built ample space and everyone wants a standing pawn of some sort (cardboard, metal, plastic, etc) to better represent their character across several feet of table space or just for individualism.

I usually want both ends of the spectrum and options placed at several points between. *shrug* So finally, my point...has anybody has any luck printing their cardboard standee style pawns on a smaller scale for use as tokens??
Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #119
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1weasel View Post
I like the idea of having the option to use either sizes. I see the use case for the smaller hexes and tokens for quick skirmish, or games where you have minimal space, or want to demonstrate how streamlined TFT can function with just a bit of this and that.
Or mounted or flying encounters or chases or large battles or ranged battles or encounters in large open areas or any other situation where you want a larger map.

Quote:
I also like the idea of using the larger scale for big Con games or at home where you’ve built ample space and everyone wants a standing pawn of some sort (cardboard, metal, plastic, etc) to better represent their character across several feet of table space or just for individualism.

I usually want both ends of the spectrum and options placed at several points between. *shrug* So finally, my point...has anybody has any luck printing their cardboard standee style pawns on a smaller scale for use as tokens??
Sure. I've made them by using scissors to cut a rectangle with tab slots the same shape as a Cardboard Hero (tm or (R) - Steve Jackson Games). You can either just use paper, or thin card stock, either printing on it or printing on paper and gluing the image on it.

However I find it a lot more work (and art) than making traditional flat TFT counters, and I think flat counters work better in practice (or else you also may want flat counters as well for when a figure falls down or gets in HTH).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #120
platimus

Quote:
So finally, my point...has anybody has any luck printing their cardboard standee style pawns on a smaller scale for use as tokens??
If you scaled them down to the size of a counter you may as well draw stick-men on the counters. Maybe my eyes are just that old and bad now. I dunno.

I prefer counters/tokens that are mainly just faces. They're visually more intuitive to me regarding facing and allow more detail in such a small amount of space. I'm no artist but here are a bunch I made for myself in a retro video-game or retro cartoon style:
PCs:
http://mmmnm.blogspot.com/2016/05/up...-counters.html
Monsters:
http://mmmnm.blogspot.com/2016/05/up...unters_28.html

Those were all drawn pixel by pixel using paint. Again, I'm not an artist. :P
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote