Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 02-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
Chernobyl

Default Car Wars at Kublacon, Memorial day weekend 2020

I'm back....missed last year but I have my reservations ready for this year's Kublacon!
This year's arena will be the Stockton Duelarama! come join the contest as 10 division 40 contestants duke it out in a re-purposed dry dock at the Port of Stockton.
I finished the map layout today and will link an image when it gets approved by the mods at BGG
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
Chernobyl

Default Re: Car Wars at Kublacon, Memorial day weekend 2020

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/imagepa...pic5204035.png

Stockton Duelarama.

5 gates on either side of the dry dock.
1 bridge from one side to the other.
4 ramps lead down into the dock itself. These are steel grate type ramps (like the road surface you may see on a drawbridge) and as such liquid dropped weapons and spike droppers are ineffective on the ramps.
4 ramps are positioned for jumping and landing on either side of the dry dock. 60 mph is the safe jump speed to take off from one ramp to the opposite ramp.
6 Checkered lines - fully crossing one of these lines awards 2 points. As with the Sacramento Autoduel Exposition, you can't cross the same line twice in a row for points.

Weapon activators. At the beginning of the match, no weapons are activated on any car. Positioned in pairs in the dock and on the wharf are 6 "Sword" and "Shield" activators. Driving over a live Sword activator turn on the vehicle's aimed weapons for the duration of the match; likewise for Shield activators which turn on the vehicle's dropped weapons. All activators are inert at the beginning of the match. In phase 1 of turn 3, three random sword and 3 random shield activators go live. Using the activator makes it inert and a random one of the 3 previous inert activators of the same type instantly goes live. In this manner 3 of each type will always be live. Exception: if a vehicle is on one of the activators when it is supposed to go live, it delays going live until there is no vehicle on it at the beginning of the phase.
[credit to Death Race (2008) for the weapon activator idea]
Old 02-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #3
Galfridus

DP to breach the dock and let the water in? :)
Galfridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Chernobyl

I considered rules for that but it would take a long time with autoduel scale weapons. you have to consider that it is a big steel structure (metal armor) and filled with water itself (you pump out the water and float it into position) so weapon fire going through to the other side has all that water to slow it down.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Chernobyl

just an update, two area conventions in northern california for April and March have been cancelled by the public health crisis. While Kublacon is in late May and hasn't been cancelled YET...I am not enthusiastic about attending even if it goes on at this point. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Chernobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
just an update, two area conventions in northern california for April and March have been cancelled by the public health crisis. While Kublacon is in late May and hasn't been cancelled YET...I am not enthusiastic about attending even if it goes on at this point. We'll see what happens.
Well, that was prophetic. just got the email, Kublacon is cancelled for 2020.

hope to see you guys in 2021!