Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #1
Innui

Default Dwarven material property

Hi, I've had a look and seen a few discussions on how the dwarven property works for 2 handed weapons, like a maul, that is 0U and ‡ but I'm a bit confused.
The maul loses the 0U and can now parry and attack in the same round according to DFRPG adventures. However the ‡ applies and the weapon becomes unready when used to attack. Does this mean that once used to attack, it cannot parry until ready again? I was also confused by the dwarven discount, does it apply to items with the dwarven property or items that dwarves would likely make?
Innui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Dwarven material property

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innui View Post
Hi, I've had a look and seen a few discussions on how the dwarven property works for 2 handed weapons, like a maul, that is 0U and ‡ but I'm a bit confused.
The maul loses the 0U and can now parry and attack in the same round according to DFRPG adventures. However the ‡ applies and the weapon becomes unready when used to attack. Does this mean that once used to attack, it cannot parry until ready again?
It still becomes unready after attacking (unless you have 1.5x the weapons ST). However, now you can ready it, parry with it as many times as you need, then attack with it.

Dwarven weapons make more sense for one-handed 0U weapons like an Axe or Mace. However, if you're really strong you get the to the point of not having to ready a two-handed weapon to attack; a character with 20 ST can attack and parry with a Dwarven Maul without ever needing to ready it. That's some scary stuff, especially when you stop to consider how much damage they can do with the maul- at ST 20 you can swing for 3d+7 damage with Maul.

Quote:
I was also confused by the dwarven discount, does it apply to items with the dwarven property or items that dwarves would likely make?
That comes from the racial "Dwarven Gear" Perk - Dwarves get a 10% discount when buying goods from other Dwarves. See p. 43 of DFRPG Adventurers. This is different from the above weapon modifier (though any weapon which is Dwarven would probably qualify for the cost discount).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
Balor Patch

Quote:
I was also confused by the dwarven discount, does it apply to items with the dwarven property or items that dwarves would likely make?
It applies to any item with Dwarven in the name. Dwarven whetstone, Dwarven rations, Balanced Fine Dwarven Axe of Smiting, ...
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #4
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
It still becomes unready after attacking (unless you have 1.5x the weapons ST). However, now you can ready it, parry with it as many times as you need, then attack with it.

Dwarven weapons make more sense for one-handed 0U weapons like an Axe or Mace.
Dueling polearms as well work great as Dwarven dueling polearms.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Dueling polearms as well work great as Dwarven dueling polearms.
Really, that can be expanded to Two-Handed weapons that have a single dagger ST. That includes Dueling Polearms, but also several Spears, Flail, and Combat Shovel. Plus, as I mentioned, any single-handed 0U weapon.

It's just the Two-Handed double-dagger ST weapons that don't gain full usefulness unless you meet the 1.5x ST requirement to avoid ever having to ready the weapon. That's mostly going to limit it to Barbarians or strong Knights & Holy Warriors.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-25-2020 at 06:33 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Innui

Thanks for the replies. It was very helpful :)
Innui is offline   Reply With Quote