Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Augster

Default Re: Slightly confused NOOB questions

Excellent gents!

Lastly, is it totally frowned upon to play a two-player game of Munchkin? The box says 3 to 6(?), and I'm sure the dynamic is way more fun with 3+ as more cards are in play so more bad things can happen, but is it plausible to play with only 2?

Said better, is there some "sanctioned house rules" floating around for a 2-player game of Munchkin? Like drawing 12 cards initially and discarding to 7 or somesuch?

I do appreciate all the help. My son has to go to the orthodontist tomorrow, so as long as he's out of school for a while anyway, sneaking in a "quick" game of Munchkin wouldn't be the worst way to spend some time after a morning appointment. :)
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
bonetm

There are no official rules for a 2-player game, but there are a few unoficial suggestions on the Member House Rule thread on the Munchkin forums.
MiB: #1602
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
Blazinjsin

I end up playing 2 player a couple of times per week, as opposed to multi player only once per week. the key difference i've found is that it gets pretty one sided pretty quickly in 2 player, especially if using the Munchkinomicon booster. There's not really a good way to combat this that i've found, just you kinda learn to work around it on both sides

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The obvious solution is not to use Munchkinomicon when you play two-player.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Blazinjsin

Even without using it, still gets unbalanced with only 2 people playing. Mostly you just have to hope for lucky draws. Or use the Fairy Dust booster to help even things out a little.

Check out my trades ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 🍕
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #16
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
In order to start carrying an Item, it must be your turn and you cannot be in combat.
The rules also specify you can start carrying an Item as soon as you get it, even if it's not your turn:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, page 3
Treasure cards can be played as soon as you get them. Item cards can be placed in front of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules, page 5
Any Item card may be played to the table as soon as you get it, or at any time on your own turn other than in combat (unless the card itself says otherwise).
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
The rules also specify you can start carrying an Item as soon as you get it, even if it's not your turn:
Yes, and it should perhaps also be mentioned that you still mustn't be in combat nor Running Away at the time you receive the card if you want to play it immediately like that.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Augster

Took on my kids and destroyed them. A question came up about the cleric.

On any face up draw, the cleric can choose to take that card from the top of the discard pile as a special ability. This then includes KOTD also, right?

I think that's how I was reading the ability. My son saw it otherwise. So I figured I'd ask.

The "plurals" that are on the card are for instances like treasure, etc. where you'd have to draw two or more faceup cards, like treasure after being helped. The cleric could draw one from the discard, then one from the top.

I think I have that right.

I'm figuring it out. The game went much smoother today.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
MunchkinMan

I'm going to hit all the salient points of the Cleric's resurrection ability:

The Cleric can only take as many cards as he was going to draw face up. Kicking open the door is a face-up draw, so the Cleric may take the top card from the Door discards and then must discard one card from his hand. The card from the discards however, replaces what he would have gotten from the deck, so if it's a Monster, he must fight it, if it's a Curse, it hits him, and so on.

A Cleric who won combat with a helper may draw up to the number of cards he was supposed to get from the Treasure as long as he has enough hand cards to make up for it. However, he must decide, when he does this, how many cards he's going to take from the top of the Treasure discards. He can't pick one card from the deck, then choose to take one from the discards, then take one from the deck, and decide to take another from the discards. It's a once and done deal.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 01-17-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Augster

MM, thanks for the reply.

In your sentence, "may take one from the Door deck" is that meaning Door deck discard pile? Otherwise I'm confused.

But the card he draws from the Door Deck Discard Pile, goes into play immediately as what he would have gotten from KOTD. I think I got it.

In your last paragraph, the Cleric must decide before doing face-up draws how many he will take from the discard and how many from the top, not the ability to go back and forth. I think I understand.

Thanks so much!

One last question, off this topic, but on topic to the original thread...

Your class can be discarded at any time? So when a monster card is drawn on KOTD and that monster gets +4 vs. Warriors, the player can just discard his Warrior or does he have to wait until after battle? We played it that you can discard your class at any time, and if you have one in your hand, you can play that at anytime also. LMK if this is close to correct.

Thanks very much!
Closed Thread