Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
MrCrowley

Default Power fails on Fright Check

I'm trying a Powers/Supers character whose abilities are tied to her confidence. I want to model this with her powers failing when she fails a Fright Check, but I'm not sure how to model it for price fairly
MrCrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Power fails on Fright Check

My instinct says -5% to -10%, depending on how common Fright Checks are in the campaign. Accessibility (Not if she failed a Fright Check in the last [time period]) is how I would express it. That's for 1d minutes. Multiply value by 1/2 if it lasts seconds, or 2 if it lasts for hours.

This is pulled out of the air, so YMMV.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
zoncxs

I agree with the above, -5% to -10%. It is comparable to unreliable at 14 or less, but with an Accessibility "only with a failed fright check".

If fright checks are a big part of the setting, go with -10% or even -15%, otherwise -5%.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
I'm trying a Powers/Supers character whose abilities are tied to her confidence. I want to model this with her powers failing when she fails a Fright Check, but I'm not sure how to model it for price fairly
How long do her powers fail for? What happens when she fails an intimidation contest?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:12 AM   #5
kirbwarrior

This is a a power modifier I've used in the past;

Heart -10%: Your powers come from courage, the heart, or true belief in yourself. To use any of your powers, you must first roll against Will to summon the courage inside yourself (rules as per Requires Attribute Roll P112). Secondly, anything that rattles you, including failing any fright check, shuts off your powers until you can recompose yourself (normally once the stressful event is over, but GM discretion). Lastly, you can’t be immune to fear (replace any effects of being immune to fear with a bonus), because without fear, you can’t truly have courage.

It's not exactly what you want, but it worked in the campaigns I used it in.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote