Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Ratcheting screwdriver as weapon?

A friend of mine was showing me his ratcheting screwdriver - that looks identical to this one, but bigger.

I was telling him about GURPS and discussing how we have stats for just about everything, and he started wielding this thing like a rapier. Locked at full extension, it's about two-feet long, can shrink down to a little over a foot, is heavy enough to use the handle as a club and sturdy enough to take a huge beating.

I guess my question is, how would I even begin statting this out? Should I go with Rapier stats, with -1 or -2 to skill for weird balance?

He also thinks that, wielded two-handed, you could use the ratcheting action to increase damage somewhat. I don't disagree, but I suspect that the difference would be beneath the granularity of GURPS HP.

(On a side note, this friend just got married with a Steampunk themed wedding, during which pirates attacked - and many giant wrenches, hammers and screwdrivers and such were wielded by the crew in repelling their attack, which brought tools-as-weapons to the forefront of our minds.)
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: Ratcheting screwdriver as weapon?

Your friend is a colossal geek and I think I love him.

I'd say balance could account for anywhere between a -1 and a -3 to skill, maybe more, and you'd probably want to run it off Smallsword skill as opposed to Rapier. How much does it weigh? Shortsword might be more appropriate. With a flathead... head on it, I don't think I'd assess any damage penalties, but that sucker's gonna need some greasing before you can use it as a tool again after a fight.

Since you're mentioning steampunk I'mma assume harsh realism ain't your eye's apple but just in case it is I'd say that it'd probably be prone to breakage, especially after a parry. I'd only count maybe half or even a quarter its weight for determining the likelihood of a break on parrying.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu_Hibiki View Post
I guess my question is, how would I even begin statting this out? Should I go with Rapier stats, with -1 or -2 to skill for weird balance?
At only two feet long, I would call it a smallsword. Probably -2 to skill, but I would have to handle it before deciding (the farther from the handle the center of mass is, the worse the penalty).
Old 10-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Hai-Etlik

Yes, horrible balance, and horrible durability against the kind of stresses a sword would face (The converse is true too, a sword would make a lousy screwdriver)

But in a cinematic game, sure, maybe charge a perk for it. Maybe even use a form of weapon or skill adaptation.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
I got one of those which is about 18" long, I'd base it on knife or smallsword at -1 to skill and -1 to damage.

Damage for a screwdriver would also be cr instead of impaling, unless that tip is razor sharp.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
NorphTehDwarf

I don't think something has to be razor sharp to do impaling damage. Anyone who's put a screwdriver through his hand while trying to use it as a chisel can tell you the same thing.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Atreyu_Hibiki

Fair enough.
So... which knife stats would you use when attacking with it at short length?

While I'm at it, he intends on wielding a hammer as a main-gauche. Are there any we'd need to deal with doing this?

He is awesome, and footage of the wedding can be found here.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
RyanW

Quote:
While I'm at it, he intends on wielding a hammer as a main-gauche. Are there any we'd need to deal with doing this?
I would call shenanigans on using a hammer with Main-Gauche. It simply lacks pretty much everything that defines a main-gauche.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I would call shenanigans on using a hammer with Main-Gauche. It simply lacks pretty much everything that defines a main-gauche.
I'd think so too, except that he demonstrated it...

Of course, it could simply be useless in combat. I'd have to actually go look up what exactly a Main-Gauche is normally used for...

EDIT: A quick wikipedia lookup tells me that this would be a bad idea, unless the PC (Who's supposed to be a blacksmith gadgeteer-warrior) custom-tailored it to have the better handguard protection, etc. that make Main-gauches good ideas.

Last edited by Atreyu_Hibiki; 10-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
I don't think something has to be razor sharp to do impaling damage. Anyone who's put a screwdriver through his hand while trying to use it as a chisel can tell you the same thing.
The difference between impaling and crushing is the 2x wound multiplier, the spikes on maces also do crushing damage, not impaling.

Quote:
Fair enough.
So... which knife stats would you use when attacking with it at short length?
Just go from large knife to short knife, the reach difference is really below GURPS resolution.

Quote:
Weapon skill adaptation perk, can use hammer with main-gauche skill.

Off hand weapon perk, hammer, for offensive use as a hammer.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screwdriver, stats, weapon