Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Erik-Stoney

Default Disadvantage vs skill "Discount"

I am getting ready to run a game. Modern time TL8. One of my players is playing a "Bodger" (Anyone who creates objects (machines, vehicles, buildings , etc.) from a mishmash of found or improvised materials).

He wants his bodger to be limited to TL7 (and TL4 guns as a hobby). As a result he would like to get a "discount" on his skills because his TL is lower than the rest of the game.

The limitation really is just that the person can't use computers (He can understand the electronics but not actually using it).

I suggested making a disadvantage that is like "Stuck in [insert decade here] 5 pts per decade. so being "Stuck in the 80's' would be a 25pt disadvantage. with a -1 per roll for decade away from the "stuck in".

He has sent me 3 pages of spreadsheets that he made for some custom rolls for his character. He's totally gone over board and I don't know how to reign him in without crushing his enthusiasm but also not be required to come up with a custom point system for him.

I am a newbie GM (effectively, its been 20 years) but not a newbie player. I am not sure how to a) give his character what it needs to fill his vision and b) keep it functioning within the rule set.

Am I being a Rules lawyer and I should just give in and do the custom point system. I feel like I am being reasonable. I'd really rather modify his rolls than build a whole new point system for him.

Ack! Help me people! ;)
Erik-Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Disadvantage vs skill "Discount"

The character has Low TL (Basic, page 22), -5/TL below campaign level.

So -5 points for TL7 in a TL8 campaign.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Erik-Stoney

Default Re: Disadvantage vs skill "Discount"

oh... duh... lol tnx
Erik-Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote