Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Modern and Superheroes

As I learned writing my clone, TFT's DNA is all through Champions. The original Hero guys have said that they played a lot of TFT prior to designing Champions. I'd go so far as to call GURPS and Champions/HERO half-sibling descendants of TFT. (Champions is the spawn of TFT and whatever playable game lies at the heart of Superhero 2044; GURPS descends from TFT and Car Wars, believe it or not, as I discovered many, many years ago when trying to create "Cart Wars"... These are why Autoduel Champions was possible, and why GURPS Autoduel (1e) was relatively straightforward.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 01-18-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
As I learned writing my clone, TFT's DNA is all through Champions. The original Hero guys have said that they played a lot of TFT prior to designing Champions. )
I can definitely see that. The core of TFT works well enough as a frame to hang just about any game - but of course if you go too far you DO end up turning or evolving nto either GURPS or Champions or something else entirely.

(For instance: The mods I ended up using for my anime-inspired demon-hunting TFT game back in 1992 or so ended up becoming part of the Demon City Shinjuku rpg, and then from there, with minor changes BESM. Both were "roll under" systems with three stats, so... They then migrated uncredited into BESM's daughter-game Silver Age Sentinels and then to Silver Age Sentinels d20, whose power rules were released under the Open Game License. I recall seeing small traces of them in use in Mutants and Masterminds (which acknowledged using the SAS d20 OGL), albeit in a significantly evolved form. But these specific rules were originally designed for TFT...)

Last edited by David L Pulver; 01-19-2018 at 08:24 PM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
IMHO, if you are already playing GURPS you want GURPS Supers, and if you are not already playing GURPS, but want a superhero campaign, you want Champions.

Super-attributes will just stretch TFT all out of shape.
If you were going to run a Supers game, that might be. But perhaps when you are creating a new monster from scratch and want one outlandish unique trait or your wizard is looking to raid the Azaroth Followers tomb to get some horrendous spell suggested by a dying minion, it would be a great sourcebook to raid.

It could also be used for a backlash mutation result.

- Hail Melee
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
David Bofinger

A theory of game design I like is to make sure your game covers the main tropes of the stories you're addressing. So for a modern game, you want to make sure it handles the recurring combat scenes like:
  • Character A has the drop on Character B. If A wants to cause B great harm he can. If B tries to act against A, A will probably be able to hurt B before he can carry out his attack.
  • Character A and B are each behind cover. Occasionally they stick their head out, take a shot and pull back. Mooks might get hit by this, nobody important will, but they seem to find it stressful like they're burning through notional hit points or something.
A decent modern game has to handle both these, at least. Many don't. I'm not sure how you'd make TFT do it.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote