Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
TheDreamer

Default Before I break the Rules.

I’m in a grey zone with the rules of the Forum. I want to encourage a chip flavor related to Cthulhu in a Chip contest in Canada, I don’t want do something I’m not supposed too.

Since there is a lot of Cthulhu material in SJG I find it appropriated, but I could be wrong. I just love the Idea of walking in corner store and seeing Cthulhu on a bag of chips, lol.

Before I do anything I want your decision on the subject. Also if I propose a Munchkin flavored chip, how would you feel about it?

Thanks for your time and commitment to this forum.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Before I break the Rules.

Definitely do NOT submit anything related to Munchkin. It's not our place to say yes or no about Cthulhu.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 04-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
TheDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Definitely do NOT submit anything related to Munchkin. It's not our place to say yes or no about Cthulhu.
Thank you for your quick reply. It averted a mistake from my part! Happy table top day!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I understand that companies often do not like discussing the legal parameters of a trademark such as "Munchkin," even if different companies use the same name for different types of products or services.

But as to Cthulhu, as far as I know the name was first used by H. P. Lovecraft in "The Call of Cthulhu" published in 1928. I believe all of his works published during his lifetime are in the public domain in the United States and European Union. Particular products using "Cthulhu" may be copyrighted or trademarked, however.

On a related note, in spite of the results of an online poll, two parents announced they will not name their daughter Cthulhu: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle18135817/
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
But as to Cthulhu, as far as I know the name was first used by H. P. Lovecraft in "The Call of Cthulhu" published in 1928. I believe all of his works published during his lifetime are in the public domain in the United States and European Union.
The situation is murky and I think it's irresponsible for anyone not an actual IP attorney to give legal advice in this area. Certainly, we aren't going to.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread

Tags
contest, cthulhu, legal, rules clarification