Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Dunmer999

Default I'm glad SJG agrees with me about gender.

I've already read what SJG says about this, so I'm not looking for an answer, just discussion. When I played with friends who owned Munchkin before I did, we had a disagreement. When I first noticed an item that was gender specific (pointy chest armor or something), I asked what the rules about character sex are. The owner said he starts as male, but if his mother played, she'd be female. So I equipped the armor, and a few turns later, the game's owner told me I didn't count as female. I don't know if it was disrespect, or just wanting me to be weaker, but it bothered me.

I've read SJG's ruling, that a person's character is the sex they identify as, and the owner already knew I'm female. I'm just here to say I'm glad the company agrees with me about my character. I was a bit afraid that a company making nerdy games would be stuck in the mindset of a pre-teen on such subjects.

A note: The owner of the game didn't even remember some of the rules, like there were more phases than just Kick Down The Door, so I don't blame him for being ignorant about a ruling I read online.
Dunmer999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
six's monkey

Default Re: I'm glad SJG agrees with me about gender.

One of the features of Level Playing Field which intrigues me is the gender-indication token.
A Munchkin's gender is quite a bit more subject to change than a player's, and I see no problem with allowing gender selection during turn zero. Default is for character and player gender to match, but with a working means of displaying it, there's no reason for that to be binding.
I think I'll have players declare their various attributes chosen (race, class, nationality, accent, style, etc. if available in their initial draw) including gender before rolling to see who goes first in turn one.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: I'm glad SJG agrees with me about gender.

Though the rules do say that's the default, they've also said that it doesn't matter if you choose some alternate method. Over the years I've heard of many groups who pick randomly who is what gender just because sometimes it's nice to be able to use Items you couldn't normally because you're a "dude."
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote