Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #31
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: Left 4 Dead Zombies

How would you handle a curb stomp in GURPS terms? It's a little more deadly than a Stamp Kick.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #32
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Phobos View Post
How to model that in GURPS, I have no idea- the resistance to body shots in Realism Mode doesn't necessarily reflect any kind of superhuman toughness outside of resistance to pain/shock, just that in the game the infected eventually bleeding to death isn't really a consideration.

Well what Im using so far for 'regular' zombies is

Injury Tolerance Unliving/With Brain as mentioned Above.

Runing them at a HT of 9 with 7 HP. This makes their limbs easy to blow off and virtually guarantees Death on a head shot even from a pistol.

2d+2 Damage - 2 For skull Dr leaves us 2d

Expectation Damage of 7 wounding x4 means one head shot has them at about -21 on average. Thats HT - 3=6 to live (less than 10%).

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I'd love to join some people on L4D on steam... Unfortunately I only have the xbox vbersions.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #34
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
How would you handle a curb stomp in GURPS terms? It's a little more deadly than a Stamp Kick.
A Stamp Kick that targets the Spine and Jaw simultaneously. Essentially, consider the attack as one to the Spine, work out the effects, then consider the attack (full damage) as one to the Jaw and work out the effects. Combine the two, simply taking the worst of anything that overlaps (like damage). Alternatively, consider it an attack to the Skull rather than Spine. Still has a Jaw component, however.

This is a maneuver with a ridiculous amount of setup and essentially requires a helpless or willing target. Assuming you're talking about the thing from American History X, anyway.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #35
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
A Stamp Kick that targets the Spine and Jaw simultaneously. Essentially, consider the attack as one to the Spine, work out the effects, then consider the attack (full damage) as one to the Jaw and work out the effects. Combine the two, simply taking the worst of anything that overlaps (like damage). Alternatively, consider it an attack to the Skull rather than Spine. Still has a Jaw component, however.

This is a maneuver with a ridiculous amount of setup and essentially requires a helpless or willing target. Assuming you're talking about the thing from American History X, anyway.
For just a run-of-the-mill curb stomp, I'd think full kick damage to the skull multiplied by 1.5 (I dunno how Stamp Kick works, but in the sense of a curb-stomp you're more like jumping on them, hence the multiplier). Considering the amount of bonuses you'd get away with (likely immobile subject, prep time to concentrate, etc. etc.) I think the chances of a critical hit make up for the after-effects (I'm operating off the principal that the higher your roll-cap, the higher you can score critical hits - is that how it works?).

Also, very likely damage to the face; I guess use the same damage as the kick.
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #36
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
For just a run-of-the-mill curb stomp, I'd think full kick damage to the skull multiplied by 1.5 (I dunno how Stamp Kick works, but in the sense of a curb-stomp you're more like jumping on them, hence the multiplier). Considering the amount of bonuses you'd get away with (likely immobile subject, prep time to concentrate, etc. etc.) I think the chances of a critical hit make up for the after-effects (I'm operating off the principal that the higher your roll-cap, the higher you can score critical hits - is that how it works?).

Also, very likely damage to the face; I guess use the same damage as the kick.
If by "curb stomp" you mean "smashing your foot into the face", it's basically just a Stamp Kick to the Skull. Jumping first would probably give a damage bonus (+1 or so) but impose a skill penalty (-1) and give more of a risk of falling on a miss. The effects to the face are mostly a special effect.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #37
Nymdok

Since its the one with least outrageous special Effects, lets try:

Hunter

Leaping through the air and rending the entrails of their victims, the hunters are the bounding assailants of the Undead Horde.

Attributes: ST 10 ; DX 12 ; IQ 8; HT 10.

Secondary Char: -.25 Basic Speed (Basic Speed 5.25 Basic Move 5)

Advantages: Catfall, Claws (Sharp), Clinging, DR (Ablative) 40, Injury Tolerance(No Vitals, No Blood), Striking ST (see below),Super Jump (2)(Full Power Only, Horizontal Only, Reduced Time 1).

Dissadvantages: Semi-Upright, Fragile(Unnatural)

Skills: Jumping, Acrobatics, Brawling, Sumo Wrestling.

Notes:
The Prefered attack of the Hunter is the flying tackle-grapple-pin, or more directly flying tackle-AOA(Claws).

Slam Damage:+4 to Attack(Jumping, Sumo or Brawling) for Flying Tackle and 1d Damage.(B372)

Reduced Time on Super Jump is there to denote that the 2 seconds normally required for a standing broad jump is reduced to one second.

Fragile(Unnatural) and Ablative DR 40 allow the Hunter to Keep his full move for almost all his combat life. This is opposed to building without which would reduce the Hunter to 1/3 move after only taking 7 damage.

Scaling Up/Scaling Down

The Hunter's Attacks are its Flying Tackle and its claws. Increasing Brawling, Jumping or Sumo to increase Attack likelyhood for Tackle, and increase Brawling for likelyhood of a hit with claws.

Increasing Basic Strength can make the Hunter more formidible not only for damage, but for Sumo/pinning as well. As the hunter is not portrayed as being overly muscular 12 is probably a maximum here.

The Hunter's Damage can either be scaled by adding more HP or Jumping Velocity to get higher slam dice, or by increasing Striking Strength for claw damage.

The Hunter has an IQ 8 . Show this as cunning by letting him attack at opportune times and places.

Other Options

For a Hunter with SERIOUS challenge, consider Tic Tacs (MA106) and other Parkour options to make its attacks come from a variety of angles. Also, Instead of Flying tackle, consider having it leap CLOSE and swipe as it passes for +1 dmg (if the relative velocity is 7 or greater B395)

As written here, a hunter can leap to the side of a building then either tic-tac to another position, or cling to the wall and attack with a new leap next turn.

Semi Upright means these guys are essentially always crouched. Although they lack the clearance to leap inside air vents there is no reason they cant leap from air vents on to unsuspecting players.

Nymdok

Edit: Dialed Down IQ to 8 from 9.

Last edited by Nymdok; 12-15-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #38
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
If by "curb stomp" you mean "smashing your foot into the face", it's basically just a Stamp Kick to the Skull. Jumping first would probably give a damage bonus (+1 or so) but impose a skill penalty (-1) and give more of a risk of falling on a miss. The effects to the face are mostly a special effect.
I'm sorry; when I used Curb Stomp earlier I had meant it in the 'stomp kick head' way, not the movie's original curb stomp. And while the effects on the face are mostly a special effect, I made the damage to same to see if anything was broken or just bruised; it'd be a little too harsh to take two sources of damage.

As for the Hunter stat-up, I like it. What are the skills at? Or have you not decided yet?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #39
Nymdok

Quote:
As for the Hunter stat-up, I like it. What are the skills at? Or have you not decided yet?
Thanks!

As every Party is different, the Skills and Damage need to be scaled to the Partys strengths and weaknesses. If your party has an average Active Defense of 14, then the Hunter will of course need a higher skill than a group that has active defensees in the 8s. Likewise with Damage. If your party is in normal clothes, Striking ST(4) would give the Hunter 1d Cutting which is tough against bare skin, but against DR7 Plate Armored Dungeoneers, it would virtually never get through!

Seach me on these fora and you can catch me ranting/pontificating about game balance about 3 times a week :)

Nymdok
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #40
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry; when I used Curb Stomp earlier I had meant it in the 'stomp kick head' way, not the movie's original curb stomp. And while the effects on the face are mostly a special effect, I made the damage to same to see if anything was broken or just bruised; it'd be a little too harsh to take two sources of damage.
You could even incorporate the "Kiss the Wall" rules from Martial Arts.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
left 4 dead, zombie, zombies