Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
martin88

Default Deus Ex Machine Gun

Hi all, this is my first post since joining the forums so im sorry its one asking for advice or opinions.

Basically i bought the game yesterday along with 5 expansions and 5 little blister packs fairy dust etc.

A friend got the deus ex machine gun a treasure from munchkin 3 clerical errors and it says he can use it during ANY combat. He then took it upon himself to destroy everyone elses monsters. Since the gun kills any monster and the gods take the treasure and levels we were quite simply buggered. This has to be the wrong way of using the card?

Since my deck currently consists of a stupid number of cards. Munchkin Deluxe plus all the expansions and blister packs... (had to try it atleast once) i have not gone right through the cards to have a good look at the machine gun yet but i do intend to.

Any thoughts?
martin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Deus Ex Machine Gun

Well, here's the key: Deus Ex Machinegun is not an Item. Therefore, it falls under the rules for Treasure cards that are "specials": Play it when appropriate (in this case, during combat), then discard it.

Should your friend try to argue: That's the final, absolute, official word on the subject.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Clipper

It sounds like you are saying he was keeping it in play and using it on every combat. Cards that are 'played during combat' should be discarded at the end of combat. It's not an Item, and doesn't provide a bonus (unlike Really Impressive Title) so it can't be kept in play in front of you.

Edit: Took too long trying to find the card in my set to confirm the text before posting this, so Erik got there first...
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
martin88

Thanks for that. See he was arguing that it does not say "usable only once"
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin88 View Post
Thanks for that. See he was arguing that it does not say "usable only once"
It doesn't need to. It's not an Item, nor does it provide a continuing bonus like an Item, so, as per the rules, it doesn't stay in play; It gets discarded after being played.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
martin88

Well thank you for clearing that up for me. As owner of the game i get final say and i shall use this thread to enforce my arguement. I think he should get a permanent -1 for the next game !
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Pleh

The rules only give instructions on how to prevent cheating. They do not give any guidance on how to penalize cheaters. Giving a static -1 for a whole game seems a bit spiteful rather than just.

My advice would probably be to always leave it on the field. If someone cheated because the rules weren't well enough known and someone gets away with it, let them have it. Just don't let them do it again. In fact, this goes for anything. In a game where half the fun is betraying your friends, it's best for everyone to be able to leave any bad feelings generated by any one game with that game so that when the game ends, the bad feelings end with them. If not, then the bad feelings could spoil future games as people stop playing to have fun and start playing to get back at each other.