Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Help with pricing odd disadvantage

I'm thinking of an environment causing a mutating effect on those that stay in it for too long.

Roll Ht every day in it. Failure margin adds that many points in disadvantages of a "magical" nature. Success does nothing. Critical success adds 5 points in advantages. Three critical successes in a row acclimatizes the character to the area and no longer needs to roll.

Going back to a safe area causes the points, good and bad, to fade down to a minimum of 10% the previous total.

I can't just call it a feature of the world, as there are differing levels of mana-radiation, none, low, high, and very high.

Those from lower to higher suffer quicker, once per day, once per hour, and once per minute. Those from higher to lower suffer in more mundane ways like loss of magical abilities and a vanilla damage per unit of time.

Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Help with pricing odd disadvantage

The level of this mana-radiation is just a terrain feature. Those suffering more are subjects to Susceptible disadvantage. Those whose powers depend on mana-radiation would have Dependency or Environmental or just standard Magical Power Modifier.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
The level of this mana-radiation is just a terrain feature. Those suffering more are subjects to Susceptible disadvantage. Those whose powers depend on mana-radiation would have Dependency or Environmental or just standard Magical Power Modifier.
Ok, sorry if I didn't make it clear that there are characters evolved for each level of mana-radiation.

Those real world creatures suited to no mana regions, those suited to low, those suited to normal, those suited to high, and a few suited to the rare very high regions.

Susceptible is interesting, but I don't want HT roll penalties so much as more frequent rolls.

But thanks for making the problem simpler for me.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Any help would be most appreciated, thank you.
My first thoughts would be to wonder how this would interact with certain advantages/Disadvantages?

Magic Resistance?

Magic Susceptibility?

Rapid Healing?

Regeneration (Slow and Up?)?

Luck?

A character with Magic Resistance/5 FREX would probably only notice the effect by what it does to his friends...

A Character with Luck and Rapid Healing might end up with new advantages and "healing up" any disadvantages fairly quickly...

I dunno but a few things to think on...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I can't just call it a feature of the world, as there are differing levels of mana-radiation, none, low, high, and very high.
Nevertheless, there is no difference between characters that needs to be balanced with points. All are equally effected.

It is really no different from some parts of the real world being thirsty deserts and others being freezing ice-caps or drowny oceans, or having valuable bodies or ore in them. There is no need to price the "disadvantage" that a character might freeze, drown, fall off a cliff, or discover a fortune in diamonds in certain parts of the world. The effects are the same for all, and only differences between characters need to be priced.

If there be such differences they ought to be priced on the basis that Walrus indicates.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote