Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
MSMLS

Default Need some More Basic Understanding of Gameplay

I realize that the rules are written to be very basic, however, it assumes a level of knowledge of gameplay that we don't seem to have.

Right now, my question is about items. I see that the rules say you may carry any number of items, as long as they're not big items. So, you can carry one big item and any number of small items? Or only one big item?

Also, does that mean a potion?

The issue seems to be that we have all these items down on the table in front of us, and it makes the game play seem easier than it should.

How many potions can we have? I tried watching youtube videos, but no one really explains that. They seem to have the preknowledge about things.

What cards must remain in your hand and cannot be 'carried'?

You think we could understand the rules when we read them, but it seems they're not quite basic enough for us.

Thanks for being kind to my derpy question.
MSMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Need some More Basic Understanding of Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMLS View Post
I realize that the rules are written to be very basic, however, it assumes a level of knowledge of gameplay that we don't seem to have.

Right now, my question is about items. I see that the rules say you may carry any number of items, as long as they're not big items. So, you can carry one big item and any number of small items? Or only one big item?
Any number of small Items and only one Big one. Not one or the other.

Quote:
Also, does that mean a potion?
The rules say an "Item card card has a name, a power, a size, and a value in Gold Pieces." That last part there is critical: If it doesn't have a gold piece value, it's not an Item. Most potions have gold piece values (of 32 cards with "potion" in the name, 29 are Items, 3 are Go Up A Level cards). That means those 29 potions are Items.

Quote:
The issue seems to be that we have all these items down on the table in front of us, and it makes the game play seem easier than it should.

How many potions can we have? I tried watching youtube videos, but no one really explains that. They seem to have the preknowledge about things.
I think that the key issue here is there is a difference between carrying an Item and using an Item. The rules explain that you may use (i.e., get a bonus and/or special ability) from one each of Headgear, Armor and Footgear (these Items are marked), and two Hand Items, or one 2 Hands Item. If an Item is not marked as Headgear, Footgear, Armor or requiring a Hand or two, then you also may use it (prime examples: Kneepads Of Allure, Spiky Knees, Pantyhose of Giant Strength). Also, if an Item says it's only usable by a certain Race or Class, you can't use it unless you are that Race or Class, but you can still carry it. If an Item says it is not usable by certain Race or Class, you can't use it if you are that Race or Class, but you can still carry it.

So, as far as potions go, and how many can you have: 29. But, unless you USE the potion, it doesn't do you any good, and once you use a potion (all of which are marked "usable once only," it must be discarded. That same goes for any Item which says "usable once only" on it.

Quote:
What cards must remain in your hand and cannot be 'carried'?
The only cards that can be carried are Items. Almost everything else must remain in your hand unless you can play it (like Races or Classes: You can play a Race or Class if it's your turn, but you can't carry extra Races or Classes.) I say almost above because there are cards which provide a bonus like an Item does, but aren't Items (Hireling, Really Impressive Title); these cards are mentioned in the rules as cards you can keep in play like an Item, even though they are not.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 05-21-2012 at 06:44 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote