Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
Padre

Default Re: Seraphic Resonance on CD 6

Just got back from running the game. To be honest, the Seraph of Judgement was the least of my problems. :)

Phew, that was exhausting.

I should type up a proper report, but the adventure isn't yet over -it'll be continuing next week. I'll say a few things here:

- Interpreting Kyriotate dissonance metaphorically is a good way to keep them occupied - the Kyrio of Yves in my game had to keep five of his forces occupied writing a report on an autopsy, as the posessed coroner wouldn't ahve remebered it otherwise :).

- The Malakite of Fire attunement is also useful as a light source.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
It can be very hard to hide the truth from perceptive Seraphim, especially of Judgment. My top recommendation would be to employ -- at least if this is the only game for the foreseeable future where you'll be doing this -- ineffability.
I just saw this thread so I decided to comment on this. Seraphim are powerful, but if you don't want powerful PCs, a standard celestial game of IN may not be right for you. There is a tendency in IN to make any fact of any interest ineffable so that Seraphim can't TRUTH it out. Not a tendency to encourage IMO.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
Magicwillnz

I'm not sure if this is canon, but I'll occasionally allow a Role to resist a resonance, so that the angel gets information on the role rather than the celestial with a successful resonance. Also, like Superiors except to a far lesser extent, a being can alter information it considers "secret" except on high CDs, so for example a murder would be "a death" to an Angelic resonance.

My biggest weapon is infernal behavior. In my game, Demons are extremely secretive so that only a select few demons actually know what's going on. The average demon really just follows orders from his direct superior, if they even know who it is. So the PCs have to talk to (aka beat up) a lot of demons to find out exactly what's going on, if they what they know isn't a complete fabrication.
Magicwillnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
mondu_the_fat

The problem with that is that it _severely_ limits seraphim. The only truth availlable to them would be any truth that their role would have uncovered anyway. It also still doesn't solve the problem. Lets say the role of the seraph is a detective/cop/reporter (or any other role that even has a passing interest in the subject matter), and rolls a 6? And it will be quite ironic when servants of Litheroy are the least capable of resonating the truth.

My suggestion is for the GM to roll the CD in secret, then just feed the players enough information as you see fit even with a roll of 6. If the players ask what the CD was just tell them that is was high enough to get that piece of informaton. Do this occasionally (even randomly) with checks that don't necessarily have anything to uncover as red herrings. This way, 1) seraphs or any other character with similar abilities can't spoil the plot 2) it also won't make their characters pointless (as you can always allow them to roll their own CD when you feel the information will no longer damage the story).

This would also work and explain why even superiors can't resonate certain ineffable truths. They're never really quite sure they rolled a 6 when God is doing the CD checks for them.:)

Last edited by mondu_the_fat; 02-18-2006 at 01:40 AM.
mondu_the_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
Magicwillnz

Quote:
The problem with that is that it _severely_ limits seraphim. The only truth availlable to them would be any truth that their role would have uncovered anyway. It also still doesn't solve the problem. Lets say the role of the seraph is a detective/cop/reporter (or any other role that even has a passing interest in the subject matter), and rolls a 6? And it will be quite ironic when servants of Litheroy are the least capable of resonating the truth.
Allow me to clarify...

I limit all the information-gathering resonances in this way, so that Seraphim are actually still extremely good at gathering information. I allow celestials with roles to mislead resonances better because it's unfair on demons who spend 30 years developing a role only for a passing Mercurian to see that his cultural background is "Hell" and that "he thinks he has a special understanding with Malphas..."

Seraphim, of course, would recognize a lie for a lie whether the demon has a role or not, but a role might hide the truth on a CD 6, depending on whether the truth had to do with his role or not. For example, a Seraph talking to a demon with a role:

Seraph: Are you a demon?

Demon: No...

(Seraph succeeds with CD 6)

The Seraph would get the fact that he's lying, but he wouldn't get the Truth that he's a demon, because the demon's Role hides that fact. Of course, the Seraph extrapolates correctly and uses the demon's face as a mop. If the Seraph asked what his address was and rolled a CD 6, he'd get the role's address and not the one in Shal Mari.

An example from my game: There is a Balseraph of Malphas with a role as a priest, trying to incite violence between various religious factions. The Balseraph's role has been preaching peace in order to seem innocent, but has been privately instructing some of his flock to be afraid of Islam. As a Balseraph, he's been organizing attempts to blow up local churches and pin the blame on Muslim terrorists.

A Mercurian of Dominic uses her resonance against him.

"What's his most deviant action?"

"He's a hypocrite."

The role's most deviant action was being a hypocrite. The Balseraph's most deviant action was to try to blow up churches and frame others for it. However, if the Balseraph was acting outside of his role and being all Balseraphy then the true extent of Balseraph's crimes would be apparent.
Magicwillnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seraphim