Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Magic: Harder than diamonds?

I was thinking about wizard staffs and magic jewels, and remembered that diamonds (according to DF 8, Treasure Tables) are left uncut by low-TL civilizations since it's simply too difficult to cut diamonds with TL3-4 tools.

However... what if one uses magical tools? Here's my math.

Firstly, I imagine that diamonds have a high DR, Hardened 1 (for obvious reasons), and Fragile (Brittle). To get a diamond cut without making a mess, I think one would require a tool with a (3) armor divisor and a Fine or equivalent blade for extreme precision.

For cutting diamonds using medieval tools, one would need a fine-quality (or magically Sharpened) blade with Penetrating Weapon. I imagine it could be costly to make any of this work, though...

What do you think?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Magic: Harder than diamonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
For cutting diamonds using medieval tools, one would need a fine-quality (or magically Sharpened) blade with Penetrating Weapon. I imagine it could be costly to make any of this work, though...

What do you think?
Sure, Penetrating Weapon would do the trick. The first 2 leles of it aren't even that expensive. Almost certainly less expensive than the number of stones you'd ruin while inventing/teaching yourself the crafting of diamond-cutting. :)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Shape Earth.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
(E)

Shape earth in theory can turn 2 1 carat gems into 1 2 carat gem. Which messes with the gem value table. It seems like a GM switch if it can be used on gems.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
[...]diamonds (according to DF 8, Treasure Tables) are left uncut by low-TL civilizations since it's simply too difficult to cut diamonds with TL3-4 tools.
This is simply untrue. The first guild of diamantaires was founded in 1375 and individuals practised the art well before then. You don't need magical tools, and especially not a fancy high armour divisor — though such tools might give you a bonus on Jeweller rolls for lapidary work.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
This is simply untrue.
It's untrue both in the sense that it's not historically the case, and in the sense that it's not what DF8 says. The passage (DF8, p. 20) says "Diamond is so hard that it is often, at low TLs, not worked." It does not specify any TLs. Low Tech gets slightly more specific, indicating that diamond cutting is practiced by TL4.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #7
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Shape Earth.
"This just in, gang wars breaking out between Earth Wizards United and the Jeweler's Guild. Authorities stating "The EWU recently learned to use Shape Earth on gems, and it snowballed from there". More at 10."
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

If Shape Earth spells destroy the magical use of diamonds, then mages would be the most aggressive against messing up such valuable ingredients.

But if a hidden and/or ancient cabal figured out how to combine them for their specific form/schools/style, you could have the shrine with massive gems common to fantasy without sounding "too" silly or game wrecking.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
If Shape Earth spells destroy the magical use of diamonds, then mages would be the most aggressive against messing up such valuable ingredients.

But if a hidden and/or ancient cabal figured out how to combine them for their specific form/schools/style, you could have the shrine with massive gems common to fantasy without sounding "too" silly or game wrecking.
And if everyone knows/assumes suspiciously shaped or large gems are cursed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
And if everyone knows/assumes suspiciously shaped or large gems are cursed.
Also magically created diamonds may hold much less value even if in all objective ways identical to natural forms. Like how industrial and lab created gems cost pennies on the dollar compared to identical mined forms.

Tags
diamond, hardened, penetrating weapon